Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

What's going on with Car #7 (a semi-objective analysis)...

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
You have to be a die hard Mopar fan to wanna go through all that to have a trophy to bubble wrap. I feel for those folks.

My buddy called me last night. He's an old school Mopar collector. Some dealer had him sold on a 2022 Jailbreak Indigo blue, white stripes, BM wheels, and Yellow brakes I think. $108K and he thought he was buying some limited edition car. I told him he's being taken for a sucker and to pass and go find a Black Ghost.

He's the same guy that bought the Demon and bubble wrapped it for 3 years and thought he was gonna make a fortune on the flip. He could barely sell it and ended up getting the original dealer he bought it from to buy it back from him. It had like 30 miles on it.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
You have to be a die hard Mopar fan to wanna go through all that to have a trophy to bubble wrap. I feel for those folks.

My buddy called me last night. He's an old school Mopar collector. Some dealer had him sold on a 2022 Jailbreak Indigo blue, white stripes, BM wheels, and Yellow brakes I think. $108K and he thought he was buying some limited edition car. I told him he's being taken for a sucker and to pass and go find a Black Ghost.

He's the same guy that bought the Demon and bubble wrapped it for 3 years and thought he was gonna make a fortune on the flip. He could barely sell it and ended up getting the original dealer he bought it from to buy it back from him. It had like 30 miles on it.
It's like they're in the hustling business instead of car sales. The majority of them know hardly anything that's going on.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
I can get one of the 1320 Chargers. I'm not willing to pay what they're asking.
What are they asking?

Because i have silly ideas of just building a 396 and adding the Hellion kit. Super Bee has all the trick suspension already.

OP
Illegal_Demon

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
Thread Starter #264

Well unless he paid a big adm originally, he's one of the very few original owners who didn't make money on a low mile Demon resale. Given what you just added, he doesn't sound overly savvy. That or he may have a Charlie Brown dark cloud following him. Ask him if it's raining! ;)

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
What are they asking?

Because i have silly ideas of just building a 396 and adding the Hellion kit. Super Bee has all the trick suspension already.
Anywhere from $10K to $20K over. Then you have to bid.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
I don't think it's going to be easy for anyone who does want "in" on these cars. To even get the opportunity (at any adm), it will be a challenge. If they build 200-300 and give dealers allocations, then I think only a handful of those 200 will ever be in private customer garages/collections. The overwhelming majority will be dealership owned, permanently.

Even if Tim bypasses dealerships and enacts his "Demon owner" plan, at 200-300 units we are talking about a lottery where ppl are disappointed. Supposedly Tim is considering this since he "promised" that the Demon would be Dodge's all-time top (ice) drag car. It may be why he is considering such a plan. However, imo, there are other possible reasons for going this route, including a way to justify very low production (See "2" below).

Lowest % case:

1. Any and all Demon owners get a raffle ticket. Well, at 3312 (Demons produced) PLUS second and third and fourth, etc Demon owners down the line, we are looking at 10,000 plus "Demon owners". You figure 50% of the eligible people might actually apply for car 7. So 300/5,000 = 6% shot to get one (if you owned a Demon at one point in the past/present).

Highest % case:

2. Only original Demon owners who still own their cars get a raffle ticket. This would presumably show brand loyalty (no flip even tho selling = easy profit), minimize the undesired possibility of big immediate flipping, and would get the numbers closer to a ~ 300 desired build. Again, starting with 3312 made and assuming most have flipped by now, that leaves maybe 25%? So maybe they would be looking at ~800 eligible people or so. If half of those owners apply, that gets you to 400 raffle tickets for 300 cars. That's a 75% chance. Not guaranteed but a lot better than a 1-in-16 shot (6%).

That's my speculation for the day, lol.

#Popcorn
If they are doing this, it is original owners only and still have their car.

I think they may do what the 300C did.
Reserve system online, plunk down your CC number and info and hit send.

They had dealers pop up who had the allocations and everything was done online.
To remove the markups, they should remove the dealers and just sell allocations to people.
Once they have a number, they can shop dealers for MSRP delivery.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat

To remove the markups, they should remove the dealers and just sell allocations to people.
Once they have a number, they can shop dealers for MSRP delivery.
Big brother needs to stay out of everything. Let the market decide.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Big brother needs to stay out of everything. Let the market decide.
Big brother?

A manufacturer selling a car how it sees fit is the market.
Tesla sells direct.
Ford sold their GTs direct.
Dodge rewarded original Viper owners with a chance to buy the next special version
Ford awarded Raptor Bronco allocations directly to people.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Big brother?

A manufacturer selling a car how it sees fit is the market.
Tesla sells direct.
Ford sold their GTs direct.
Dodge rewarded original Viper owners with a chance to buy the next special version
Ford awarded Raptor Bronco allocations directly to people.
If you owned a franchise, had millions invested and this was going on, how would you feel about it?

OP
Illegal_Demon

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
Thread Starter #270

To remove the markups, they should remove the dealers and just sell allocations to people.Once they have a number, they can shop dealers for MSRP delivery.
Yeah, I thought they were going to do the "300C plan" for ALL Last Call cars. Obviously, they didn't. Maybe cars 1-6 were "Christmas gifts" to their elite dealers (massive ADMS) while car 7 will be Dodge's gift to select "halo owners".

Besides the ease of selling, if they end up going the 300 C route, Dodge would also be able to match their desired low-production build to the number of owners that fit their sell criteria.

That said, even if Tim et al goes this route, MANY will still be pissed within the Dodge community (read: people who want the car but are not original Demon owners).

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I think my buddy's problem is he's stuck in the 1970 model mindset and times have changed. He's accustomed to going out and finding 1970 Mopars in barns or whatever, giving them a bath, and flipping them for twice what he paid for them. These modern cars just aren't gonna be like that I don't think.

I tried to help him sell his Demon on all the car forums, Ebay, everwhere so I dunno how folks are getting what people claim to be buying them for. Guy on the other forum just bought one for $125K though.

Anyway, I don't have a dog in that fight. You guys know my attitude about it. We had a Demon for auction at ChallengerFest sitting right there for the winning bid to take home and could barely get $105K for it. Cars are terrible investments unless you just wanna hand it down to your kids. We don't have any kids so I drive mine like the wheels are coming off LOL.

To me it's kinda like saving your hot wife for the next guy :ROFLMAO:

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I think my buddy's problem is he's stuck in the 1970 model mindset and times have changed. He's accustomed to going out and finding 1970 Mopars in barns or whatever, giving them a bath, and flipping them for twice what he paid for them. These modern cars just aren't gonna be like that I don't think.

I tried to help him sell his Demon on all the car forums, Ebay, everwhere so I dunno how folks are getting what people claim to be buying them for. Guy on the other forum just bought one for $125K though.

Anyway, I don't have a dog in that fight. You guys know my attitude about it. We had a Demon for auction at ChallengerFest sitting right there for the winning bid to take home and could barely get $105K for it. Cars are terrible investments unless you just wanna hand it down to your kids. We don't have any kids so I drive mine like the wheels are coming off LOL.

We have 5 and I don't think that any of the girls are interested in my cars. I'll be dead so I won't care. Enjoy them while you're alive!

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

I'm not touching that one!

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I'm not touching that one!
A hot wife is used by other guys, right? Or she uses them?

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
If you owned a franchise, had millions invested and this was going on, how would you feel about it?
Id be pushing volume.
Learned that from my first job at a grocery store.
Best friend in HS worked at a rival place. Barely busy because everything was more expensive.
While we were slammed and ended up buying out that place a few years later.

We see it now, Koons, Cummins, Granger etc. The Corvette market with Kerbeck and the others. They get nationwide sales thousands deep yearly because they don't fuck anyone over going for a grand slam on every sale when a simple single will do just fine.

To answer your questions, I would be in the know of what was going on. If I didn't like the EV push, i'd sell the business while the getting was good.
Otherwise, i'd keep pressing on.
I'd find a way to make a hot rod shop out of Rams, Jeeps, and Dodges. Provide my own warranty.

And Dodge doesn't mind the dealer model. But they just ask dealers to sell the car for sticker. Then what do these dealers do?
Whats in the fine print? Can Dodge go and close up a bunch of dealers for what they view as unethical practices?

As far as i'm concerned, Dodge should have final say on these things. They need distributors but they also need to sell cars. And when bad actors give them a bad image, its time to drop the hammer on them.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB

If he would have taken $90k back in 2018 and even half invested right +15-30% before the brain dead dude was elected.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Id be pushing volume.
Learned that from my first job at a grocery store.
Best friend in HS worked at a rival place. Barely busy because everything was more expensive.
While we were slammed and ended up buying out that place a few years later.

We see it now, Koons, Cummins, Granger etc. The Corvette market with Kerbeck and the others. They get nationwide sales thousands deep yearly because they don't fuck anyone over going for a grand slam on every sale when a simple single will do just fine.
Welcome to 2019. Inventory levels are rising so we may see a return to that.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Welcome to 2019. Inventory levels are rising so we may see a return to that.
Granger and Cummins have no shortage of TRXs to sell.

The Hellcat really hasn't been that popular of a car since 2018.
The C8s and GT500s were grabbing all the attention.

Only now that its "final year" is the demand back through the roof. But now sitting in a recession with rapidly rising interest rates and no rebates on these cars, this will get interesting.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Granger and Cummins have no shortage of TRXs to sell.

The Hellcat really hasn't been that popular of a car since 2018.
The C8s and GT500s were grabbing all the attention.

Only now that its "final year" is the demand back through the roof. But now sitting in a recession with rapidly rising interest rates and no rebates on these cars, this will get interesting.
This is why I'm waiting on the sidelines and making no commitment.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Yeah, I thought they were going to do the "300C plan" for ALL Last Call cars. Obviously, they didn't. Maybe cars 1-6 were "Christmas gifts" to their elite dealers (massive ADMS) while car 7 will be Dodge's gift to select "halo owners".

Besides the ease of selling, if they end up going the 300 C route, Dodge would also be able to match their desired low-production build to the number of owners that fit their sell criteria.

That said, even if Tim et al goes this route, MANY will still be pissed within the Dodge community (read: people who want the car but are not original Demon owners).
Im sure you will be one of the first to know if they go the lotto route.
My Demon is long gone LOL oops