Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Is this a Demon?

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I don't know why it would get a salvage title. If the VIN was just changed why couldn't it get changed back? Someone or many will lose money because of it being a salvage title when there may be no reason for it

I never understood why some cars with a dented fender get a salvage title
insurance company isn't gonna do that..it goes to auction..and what it brings,,,it brings..and Iv'e seen them go for peanuts...and for big money as well...changing a vin...is a headache...

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
All theft vehicles get a salvage title status (in Texas anyway). I have purchased motorcycles from Arizona that had salvage titles and when I registered them in Texas I got a clear blue title.
some states are easier than others...PA..NY are murder..Ohio..relatively easy...

Beast707

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Carol Stream
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger WB M6 Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
The real conundrum is how the current owner obtained it. If you're the thief knowing #'s and stickers don't match why would you take it to a legal shop for any service to it? Would have liked to hear the shop owner tell the guy to come get it.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
The real conundrum is how the current owner obtained it. If you're the thief knowing #'s and stickers don't match why would you take it to a legal shop for any service to it? Would have liked to hear the shop owner tell the guy to come get it.
Right and what’s really suspicious about all of this is the KBB.com shows this car being a legitimate Hellcat car???? How did they get the title changed to be in the system as a recognized car. So yes this car has been sold would be my thoughts since its in the KBB data base of titles.

Tuckerracing

Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Whitehouse
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Right and what’s really suspicious about all of this is the KBB.com shows this car being a legitimate Hellcat car???? How did they get the title changed to be in the system as a recognized car. So yes this car has been sold would be my thoughts since its in the KBB data base of titles.
VIN could be a real hellcat vin, I have not done that much digging into that part.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
It is even in the car fax Data base wow.
95438382-5688-4647-BE9F-6F2DCB97A8A3.jpeg

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
VIN could be a real hellcat vin, I have not done that much digging into that part.
No its a Charger SXT VIN

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I would be really careful this could come back against your buddy and his shop will be burned down. Need to think this thru because your buddy will be called out. May want to have some time slide by with any investigation to protect your Friend. And sure he should look into how it is handled and then make the decision on how fast or slow.
I had a friend that bought a used Harley from a dealer in PA...(not a harley dealer)..but a reputable dealer nontheless..the dealer that sold him the bike had acquired it from Ohio..my friend tried to register the bike in NY (with all the paperwork from the dealer in PA including a PA title)...The state of NY red flagged it...The problem was with the Ohio title..the bike was stolen...its apparent PA is not as diligent in scrutinizing title tranactions from Ohio (sounds crazy)...this we were told from NYS DMV...the dealer took the bike back and reimbursed him all the money...now had that dealer sold that bike to a PA resident...there would never have been a problem...Call me cynical but its my belief that dealer may have known the bike was stolen..he just didn't count on NYS DMV bein able to find their ass without a road map

Tuckerracing

Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Whitehouse
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
No its a Charger SXT VIN
I just tried to get the window sticker through dodge and I got this. i wonder if they made there own door sticker and vin plate?

Attachments

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
Yeah all those VIN lookups go straight to FCA server databases in the background. I would assume those CARFAX type lookups are based on state registration data so that fake VIN could technically be registered somewhere as a Hellcat and not to what it actually might decode to.

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
If that guy paid Demon money for a stolen Demon, that sucks. He should have investigated the VIN better. With no crate (assuming it wasn't installed), it's basically a stolen Challenger SS at this point. Sucks to be the owner, unless the owner is the thief too!

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Did anyone try the BuildSheet link at the top of our page?

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
This should defiantly get reported too! I don't know if the current owner would be at a total loss, since he/she is in possession of stolen property or how that works. However, someone needs to start tracing this backwards to see how a stolen demon with an sxt vin could be registered as a hellcat!

Nice Demon, I f**king hate thieves!

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
This should defiantly get reported too! I don't know if the current owner would be at a total loss, since he/she is in possession of stolen property or how that works. However, someone needs to start tracing this backwards to see how a stolen demon with an sxt vin could be registered as a hellcat!

Unavailable just like the Sticker

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Oops, wrong post quoted

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
Did anyone try the BuildSheet link at the top of our page?

Attachments

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
No its a Charger SXT VIN
No that is not true. The last 6 match a Charger but in the VIN is shows it is a Hellcat Challenger and a 2 door.
I mentioned this in post #54

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
So does anyone know if the SXT/Hellcat VIN car was stolen too?

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Exactly what I was saying. The whole VIN is made up. If it were from a Charger it would have X as the 6th digit not Z for starters

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

When the authorities get involved...they take the car..and it goes to the rightful owner..the person in possession..looses his skin in the game...I vaguely remember a 62 corvette bought new that was stolen some years later..(no insurance)..the car changed hands a few times...then underwent a total restoration...then around 2010..authorities determined it was stolen..car was seized and and returned to the original owner..the guy was in his 80's