Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Whipple 3.0 on a Stock Hellcat?

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
Well yea if I was gonna make any power on it but boost can be controlled by my foot so im just interested in being able to use 93 octane ONLY to get home if I cant find E85. The only gas station with it closes at 10 pm every night. I did originally look at a bigger pulley but I have zero plans to make any power with it so its pointless.

The 1700's couldn't keep up with boost only on the 3.0, I cant imagine they will do well at all with the 3.8. For a 93 tune you will have to go with a giant pulley to keep boost down to 16 or below. not even sure they make one big enough for the 3.8 to bring it down that low.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
I have not taken the lid off to look but spinning it sounds fine plus makes no crazy noise like what I have heard online
No need to remove lid, a look in the intake side will tell you. If you have a borescope like I have, Jon bought one too, it will go in the catch can PVC inlet. Just curious. Trying to get an answer from Whipple on my 3.8 but they have not responded to recent inquiries asking for an update, both via phone and emails.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
No need to remove lid, a look in the intake side will tell you. If you have a borescope like I have, Jon bought one too, it will go in the catch can PVC inlet. Just curious. Trying to get an answer from Whipple on my 3.8 but they have not responded to recent inquiries asking for an update, both via phone and emails.
Car is not at the house right now. The blower will be taken off when I change the shortblock and will look. Through the tb everything looked fine

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Well yea if I was gonna make any power on it but boost can be controlled by my foot so im just interested in being able to use 93 octane ONLY to get home if I cant find E85. The only gas station with it closes at 10 pm every night. I did originally look at a bigger pulley but I have zero plans to make any power with it so its pointless.
I'm sure you could ask your tuner to make you a tune for 93 with it. Would make sure not to go into any boost at all though. The 3.8 gen 6 makes a lot more boost than I was expecting. even on my engine with 10% and 3.25 I'm seeing 28psi, with my exhaust on. to compare my 3.0 even with a 2.85/10% was only making 20.5

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I'm sure you could ask your tuner to make you a tune for 93 with it. Would make sure not to go into any boost at all though. The 3.8 gen 6 makes a lot more boost than I was expecting. even on my engine with 10% and 3.25 I'm seeing 28psi, with my exhaust on. to compare my 3.0 even with a 2.85/10% was only making 20.5
The Whipples make more power than anything else on the supercharger market. The Gen 5 3.0 had issues. The Gen 6 is a Gen 5 fix. It’s not a different supercharger but it is different. Performance (horsepower) with the 3.0 is probably close to +150 over the factory Hellcat. The 3.6 is another thing. We had two cars making almost exactly the same wheel hp under the same conditions. Both with DragPak 3.0’s. Both on the dyno at 4000 da. Both running TH400 trans and 9” Pro gear rears with spools. Both on the rollers with 315/15 M/T Radials. Both cars at 1200whp (within 5whp of each other). Pulled the Whipple 3.0 on one and replaced it with the 3.8. It went straight to 1400whp with nothing more than a adjustment in fuel pressure. Even used the same small 108 throttle body. The 3.0…. as bad ass as it is compared to the factory blowers, is a little girl compared to the 3.8.

Last edited:

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
I only saw 24-25 psi I believe maybe John remembers not sure exactly but I needed the pulley tensioner cause I was only able to pull to 6k rpm due to belt slip. Once im able to pull to 7k rpm im sure it will pick up a couple extra lbs of boost.

So I got that and the clutched pulley from Satera so hopefully we get back to the dyno in the next couple of weeks. I was using pump E85 (E68 its the best I can get here) for the pump gas tune and One Ethanol R for the race tune but never got that far. It made a lot more power than I expected on pump E85 so the R should make some good power. Freaking $30 a gallon smfh....

I think John was working on a 93 tune ill have to follow up.