Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Getting off the line. Help!

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
May have spun the coupling on one of the shafts. I saw a similar thing before if failed totally running a 2.72 upper and +10 lower.
I haven’t had a chance to look at your logs is the bypass valve voltage where it should be? It could be getting blown open, had that happen too.
Bypass at one point was opening. He ordered a new one and now it has been good to go. There is a chance the throttle body is sucking closed now.

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #242
Bypass at one point was opening. He ordered a new one and now it has been good to go. There is a chance the throttle body is sucking closed now.
I thought we did a few tb logs and determined it wasnt?

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I thought we did a few tb logs and determined it wasnt?
I’m just going off what speedy said above. You say throttle is cutting out. The quick view when it first came in throttle torque source never changed. I haven’t looked close enough at these ones

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #244
I’m just going off what speedy said above. You say throttle is cutting out. The quick view when it first came in throttle torque source never changed. I haven’t looked close enough at these ones
Oh. Ok. Gotcha

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Same thing happened to me if you remember, had to step up to a Nick Williams TB and it stopped doing it

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
If the throttle was at fault at all the car would go into limp mode and red lightning bolt of death. Just my .02, something is commanding the throttle to close is more like it.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
$.02 The ECU is likely commanding the throttle to close because the throttle body motor isn’t strong enough to stabilize the blade at WOT. Increased airflow over the blade can cause it to move if the motor holding it open isn’t strong enough. The TPS will detect this instability and report back to the boss who says game over. This was a common problem back in the day with the Whipples. Nick Williams and others started using more powerful throttle body motors to address it. If the tb is a cause then, just like the bypass… try another one.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I could see the argument if this was 25 lbs of boost but it is 15 lbs. Can the throttle body go bad where it will not hold which it did before? Maybe OP could borrow one to test instead of buying one

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Maybe a silly question, but since you still have the stock lower I thought I would ask - it is pinned, right?

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I could see the argument if this was 25 lbs of boost but it is 15 lbs. Can the throttle body go bad where it will not hold which it did before? Maybe OP could borrow one to test instead of buying one
That’s what I would suggest. You’re right he’s not flowing enough air to normally have this be a problem but if it’s acting like a duck you should at least try treating it like one to find out.

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #251
Maybe a silly question, but since you still have the stock lower I thought I would ask - it is pinned, right?
Lower is pinned. I ordered an ati 10 lower and a 2.72 upper last night and a new belt. Gonna try swapping it around and see what we get. Additionally ill do a few more logs and test the tb more.

Considering in going whipple in the future I don't feel like buying a tb for the 2.4l blower when in going to be using that monster 130mm on the whipple

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Could also be bleeding boost with a stuck valve or other motor issue.

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #253
Could also be bleeding boost with a stuck valve or other motor issue.
Bpv is closed

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
I think he is implying a valve train issue.

Intercooler cores don’t ever get clogged on these right?

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #255
I think he is implying a valve train issue.

Intercooler cores don’t ever get clogged on these right?
Ah gotcha. Well i spoke with Jon today. Weve been hammering away at this for a month trying to chase it down. Gonna step away for about a week while parts come in. Ive got the ati 10% lower and 2.72 upper to install along with a set of LT headers. From there we will reasses after the install. Track day is 17th so hopefully i get everything in and on the vehicle for that.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
What's the elevation where you are? I see your in TN a few hours east of where I am. I've noticed in your logs your barometric pressure has shown 13.8psi, mine is always close to 14.7 which is what I'd expect. If you're around the mountains that could explain the difference. I'm at like 600ft elevation.

The reason I mentions this is it more evidence (for me) that there's really nothing wrong supercharger/engine wise. Your baro is a bit lower and you have catless mids and that would explain the pressure difference. Catless usually drop actual boost 1-1.5psi I believe. Your aircharge looks pretty normal.

The throttle thing should be sorted out though. That's not typical. I have had throttles fail on me before, and it acted up a bit prior.

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #257
Bristol TN - 1676ft

And if everything is checking out and looking good on that end... Im happy. All of this started from some of the more knowledgeable memebers seeing my mod list, track slips, and dyno slips and stating I should be faster (1/4 mile) or more power (dyno). Thats why i keep chasing down this rabbit hole, because that's got me thinking something is wrong.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Every +1000 feet of elevation is usually worth 1/10 in ET and a MPH or two. I think initially someone else had tuned your car, and you switched to Jon. I'm sure he has the tune pretty well squared away aside from the trims he's stated he'll finish once you're all sorted pulley wise.

You probably listed the DA for your track runs and I've forgotten what that was. My car with a 2.72 pulley and E85 trapped around 140mph in +2000 DA. That's with a rear seat delete, and drag pack wheel/tire setup. Race weight with me in the car like 4250 I think.

OP
D

Demid22

Nurse
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
JONESBOROUGH
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #259
Every +1000 feet of elevation is usually worth 1/10 in ET and a MPH or two. I think initially someone else had tuned your car, and you switched to Jon. I'm sure he has the tune pretty well squared away aside from the trims he's stated he'll finish once you're all sorted pulley wise.

You probably listed the DA for your track runs and I've forgotten what that was. My car with a 2.72 pulley and E85 trapped around 140mph in +2000 DA. That's with a rear seat delete, and drag pack wheel/tire setup. Race weight with me in the car like 4250 I think.
Anything in this thread has been with Jon. I did have someone else tune it originally but it wasnt that great so Jon stepped in and made it nice. But everything posted in this thread has been with Jon

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Here are some of mine to compare. I've got the RE motor which has a different cam but this was a 2.4 Hellcat blower and 2.72 pulley on E85. Weight with me in it 4250ish if memory serves.