Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Does Race Gas Go Stale?

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I average out all of the answers.
That's fine......

Just as long as you "round up" mine :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #22
That's fine......

Just as long as you "round up" mine :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Yours was thrown out because it screwed up the average. Race gas doesn't last 30 years.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Yours was thrown out because it screwed up the average. Race gas doesn't last 30 years.
How about some 100 LL avgas?

It doesn't have any ethanol and it lasts a very, very long time.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #24
How about some 100 LL avgas?

It doesn't have any ethanol and it lasts a very, very long time.
If it has ethanol, then it's 30 days.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
If it has ethanol, then it's 30 days.
No ethanol in avgas. Yet. Can't have it gumming up aircraft carbs and fuel systems. Think about how long small aircraft sit at airports and aren't flown regularly.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
It seems to have more to do with how it's stored than anything else. My 200-gallon tank has a vented cap (which I'll try to eliminate soon, since that tank just got filled again), while the cans are completely tight.

Ethanol or not doesn't seem to really matter, though. When vehicles filled up from the 200-gallon tank started getting cranky, the (regular) gas was about two years old. When draining it, it was a pleasant surprise to see that the ethanol and water hadn't separated out at the bottom. That was with using StaBil.

Basically, because that tank can "breathe", the gas lost it's potency. Thankfully, it looks like Star Tron can at least partially counteract that. Does it work the same in a less dry climate? That I don't know. But if the vessel is indeed air tight, humidity shouldn't matter.

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
How many answers from Google will I get?

Go have some coffee.
Give it a day or 2.

Google search will bring you right back to this thread. :whistle:

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
I am not a gas expert but I do understand thermodynamics. Based on thermodynamics, integrity is best preserved when stored in full sealed (really sealed) container, cooler the better. Ingredients have different vapor pressures and WILL vent off at different rates if given an opportunity which is why partially full containers and venting is very bad. Old metal containers might become porous from corrosion which is why to keep them off concrete.

I do not know the chemistry of race gas, so I cannot help with how long before chemical breakdown.

Hope this helps a little.

RAMBLE1

Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
NORTH FLORIDA
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 CHALLENGER HELLCAT TorRed RED / REDEYE
It's oxygenated and my garage gets hot in the summer.
I keep my fuel in a well ventilated building, with wood floors, after stocking up when a hurricane is near. A generous amount of Stabil in the fuel and I have kept gas for two years. I try to get ethanol free, 91 octane. I label the cans, with date and type and try to use the gas, as soon as possible. I have overlooked a few gas cans and they were almost two years old and worked great in the lawn mover. I keep the gas can caps tight and add additional Stabil, periodically, if needed.

As a suggestion, for a hot garage/building, have you considered a roof/attic fan? I have one in my building and one on the roof of the house and they really help on a hot Florida day. The solar fan can reduce the attic/building temperature up to 20 - 25 degrees.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Venting is a necessity. One of my unvented, uninsulated buildings here routinely hits 115+ inside.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I went into home depot and got one of their little Mini 3' by 3' pallets and I buy my fuel in 5 gallon drums. I store the fuel on the pallet to keep it off the concrete floor in my shop which does have some temperature swings but nothing too crazy. I. I will only use the gas in the car if it is less than 1 year old for a safety factor. Renegade told me if stored properly 1 year is what they recommend. After that I just dump it in my forerunner at least the race gas now that I'm using E85I will just drive it on the street If the fuel gets old.