Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Bringing Back this timeless age ole topic... What is a Street Car versus a Race Car?

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
50 Shades of Grey
Yeah right....like you never saw the movie...:rolleyes:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Yeah right....like you never saw the movie...:rolleyes:

I tried to watch it once, it was so bad I gave up

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Never even wanted to try.

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Baby Godfather 24012024105143.jpg

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I tried to watch it once, it was so bad I gave up
You did better then me, I didn't even try:LOL:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
That’s a chick flick I heard
Would have been great to take date to if I were single. Sure it would have worked out later:p

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
The way these threads go sideways, I have to wonder what the AI crawlers do when they get to hellcatforum.org :unsure:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
The way these threads go sideways, I have to wonder what the AI crawlers do when they get to hellcatforum.org :unsure:
Heads explode:unsure:

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Right around 9.0 and/or 150mph - because street cars don't have 12 point cages and parachutes. Period.

And anything that runs 6's/5's is as far from a street car as you can get. When you need a 6 figure race program, a trailer full of spare parts, a network of support shops and next day parts delivery directly to the track just to survive? You're definitely not a "street car"

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
I think this is a very objective question and not subjective. We have three sanctioning bodies that have all stated that when you exceed a certain MPH or time you need a cage. At the time you have crossed that line and wish to race in those classes that require them (irrespective if you have them or not) then you are no longer a street car.

For all you N/T HW cars or 8.5 index cars or any class that requires a cage sorry to break it to you, you are not longer a street car. I don't care if you come from a state that will allow to register and insure a completely gutted tubbed 1960 whatever, you're not a street car. Same for the late model car guys as well.

Even if you wanted to ignore the sanctioning bodies (NHRA, IHRA, WDRA) and used only MSHS rules.
Outlaw: Cars must meet NHRA/IHRA safety requirements for ET
8.5: cage and oil retention device required, NHRA/IHRA license for class ET is required

Also for anyone thinking they will be able to run WCF without WDRA equipment requirements good luck not even the promoter Jason Miller who is the son of Royce who owns MIR can get around WDRA requirements this year thanks to the stunt with the truck and the person laying in the flatbed after the pass.

Don't care whatever event calls the class "street" for an ET that requires a cage. You are no longer a street car.

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
See this I agree and disagree with. A cars ET or MPH don't determine if its a street car to me. I could drive mine daily if I wanted with no hiccups. I use my own car as a reference because I can be factual with it. full factory interior, front and rear seats, all stereo equipment and all electronics still in place and functional can run sub 8.6's @163 mph. I ran it in a class with that configuration at the end of last season. pump E85. factory style engine, trans and 3.09 rear. all working ABS, air bags etc... these new late model cars are insanely quick.

now to the agreeing part. to run in a sanctioned event, you must have the required safety equipment 100%! at the point of cage, and parachute you are at the "race car" level.

to also elaborate further between race and street car. working AC and heat, windshield wipers. oem style engine, trans and rear. factory PCM. the ability to run pump gas/ethanol.

I think this is a very objective question and not subjective. We have three sanctioning bodies that have all stated that when you exceed a certain MPH or time you need a cage. At the time you have crossed that line and wish to race in those classes that require them (irrespective if you have them or not) then you are no longer a street car.

For all you N/T HW cars or 8.5 index cars or any class that requires a cage sorry to break it to you, you are not longer a street car. I don't care if you come from a state that will allow to register and insure a completely gutted tubbed 1960 whatever, you're not a street car. Same for the late model car guys as well.

Even if you wanted to ignore the sanctioning bodies (NHRA, IHRA, WDRA) and used only MSHS rules.
Outlaw: Cars must meet NHRA/IHRA safety requirements for ET
8.5: cage and oil retention device required, NHRA/IHRA license for class ET is required

Also for anyone thinking they will be able to run WCF without WDRA equipment requirements good luck not even the promoter Jason Miller who is the son of Royce who owns MIR can get around WDRA requirements this year thanks to the stunt with the truck and the person laying in the flatbed after the pass.

Don't care whatever event calls the class "street" for an ET that requires a cage. You are no longer a street car.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Yeah, there’s 12 second crap boxes that can’t safely drive on the street reliably

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
See this I agree and disagree with. A cars ET or MPH don't determine if its a street car to me. I could drive mine daily if I wanted with no hiccups. I use my own car as a reference because I can be factual with it. full factory interior, front and rear seats, all stereo equipment and all electronics still in place and functional can run sub 8.6's @163 mph. I ran it in a class with that configuration at the end of last season. pump E85. factory style engine, trans and 3.09 rear. all working ABS, air bags etc... these new late model cars are insanely quick.

now to the agreeing part. to run in a sanctioned event, you must have the required safety equipment 100%! at the point of cage, and parachute you are at the "race car" level.

to also elaborate further between race and street car. working AC and heat, windshield wipers. oem style engine, trans and rear. factory PCM. the ability to run pump gas/ethanol.
So you does has race car? This topic has me confused. Very entertaining though lol

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
So you does has race car? This topic has me confused. Very entertaining though lol
My car can be used with or without the parachute and there is no cage in it currently. so my car is and is not a race car when it needs to be. I have to pass Delaware state inspection and emissions every 2 years.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
What class allows you to run 8.6 @ 163mph without a cage?

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
What class allows you to run 8.6 @ 163mph without a cage?
NT street shootouts. This year they dropped them to 1/8 mile so I wont even need the chute.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
So nothing that is officially sanctioned? Even by the seemingly more liberal WDRA standards chassis cert is required below 9.0 or over 150mph regardless of ET. Running NT doesn't negate that.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
So nothing that is officially sanctioned? Even by the seemingly more liberal WDRA standards chassis cert is required below 9.0 or over 150mph regardless of ET. Running NT doesn't negate that.
#facts he just cant come to terms with the fact he has a race car. Tom Bailey can register a fucking promod, is it a street car, fuck no.