Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

15" Brake Conversion??

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
My 17” MTs took everything my stock Charger had and got me into the 10s. One of my first mods when I get another one will be the 15” conversion. They look amazing and they hook amazing. I don’t rely on the rear brakes all that much anyway.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
I cut 1.2x 60s on a 17. Beefcake has 315s in stock. You’ll hook on those no issue
Agree night and day difference I started running 315/50R17 last year great results. Run them them on the street gets a bit expensive though as you might expect because of rapid wear. picked up a new set in Aug from Beefcake, they were the only game with in stock as everyone else was on back order when racing season was in full bloom

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
When you don't want to be able to daily drive your hellcat and you are going all out race car to race into the 8's! ;)
You can still daily a 8sec car.

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I went to the 15 inch conversion after the MIR race. Even on the "great" prep at MIR it was still hit or miss on traction with the 315/50/17 MT street R. I ran Cecil two weeks later and hooked every pass on the 29.5X10.5/15 MT Pro bracket radial. Hooked so well that a snapped a Demon axle :cry:. I'm still waiting to upgrade to the larger 315/60/15 radial pro. The car is just as streetable with the 15's as it was the 17's. I don't partake in any type of high speed turns or road racing so hasn't changed anything for me with on road handling.

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
I went to the 15 inch conversion after the MIR race. Even on the "great" prep at MIR it was still hit or miss on traction with the 315/50/17 MT street R. I ran Cecil two weeks later and hooked every pass on the 29.5X10.5/15 MT Pro bracket radial. Hooked so well that a snapped a Demon axle :cry:. I'm still waiting to upgrade to the larger 315/60/15 radial pro. The car is just as streetable with the 15's as it was the 17's. I don't partake in any type of high speed turns or road racing so hasn't changed anything for me with on road handling.
Summit had the pro radials in stock 2
Weeks ago

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #46
I'm not a fan of running mickey thompson drag radials on the street. Punctured 1 late at night and spun the car at low speed in a downpour.

Last edited:

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I'm not a fan of running mickey thompson drag radials on the street. Punctured 1 late at night and spun at low speed in a downpour.
I wont take my car out if there is a chance of rain. My OCD wont allow it. its currently on the stock wheels with street tires on it. drives like stock.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
@RGPIII was the damage only the axle or did the diff get hurt too?

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I'm not a fan of running mickey thompson drag radials on the street. Punctured 1 late at night and spun at low speed in a downpour.
You live in Florida 🌦⛈🌧🌧🌦⛈⛈😂

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #50
I wont take my car out if there is a chance of rain. My OCD wont allow it. its currently on the stock wheels with street tires on it. drives like stock.
Don't come to Florida in the summer then...

This did start me on buying a trailer.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #51
You live in Florida 🌦⛈🌧🌧🌦⛈⛈😂
🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
@RGPIII was the damage only the axle or did the diff get hurt too?
Only the axle luckily. Put my stock axle back in for now while I'm waiting on my new setup. it runs and drives perfectly thankfully.

ostmike

Vendor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Portersville
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
I feel the need to chime in on the 15” conversion 🫤. If you want hook on those marginal (meaning shit) open track things they call test n tunes…. you will be astounded how much difference a proper 15” tire will make. I know that lots of people can point out that they ran a ________ on 17’s or even 18’s. Just right prep and a perfect launch and…. magic 🥳. Doing it consistently is the hard part. The big fat gas bag of a tire takes a lot of the shock out of the hit. It absorbs it and softly puts it to the track compared to the shorter sidewall tires. You can feel it. The shorter sidewall 17’s are more violent to the drivetrain. The 15 rides nicer on the street too. It’s like you have a air ride suspension built into the tire. Down side is… no they’re not dot legal and you don’t want to ever get caught in the rain but that could be said about the ET-R’s too.
I will have to agree with Marc here. Although I have cut 1.24 60's in my street Hellcat with 17's marginal prep is my enemy. I can take power out at the launch to compensate but leaving with so little power is depressing at best. The 15" tire options in both DOT and non-DOT are abundant and that extra sidewall combined with rear suspension tuning can compensate in many cases for marginal prep. Additionally 15" DOT's will ride on the street just fine up to and exceeding any speed these vehicles can obtain.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
This begs me to ask a question likely already covered in this thread but for those of us unable to brain right now...

Who has the cleanest 15" setup? Minimal/zero grinding preferred. Already have AAD drag pack minus the toe rods. Also bwoody links though they'll be swapped as a consequence.

This will make a late appearance this year after the chiller & blower work. Oh and the headers.

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
This begs me to ask a question likely already covered in this thread but for those of us unable to brain right now...

Who has the cleanest 15" setup? Minimal/zero grinding preferred. Already have AAD drag pack minus the toe rods. Also bwoody links though they'll be swapped as a consequence.

This will make a late appearance this year after the chiller & blower work. Oh and the headers.

I used the TCE kit from HHP- get the upgraded AAD toe Rods. also get the AAD sway bar link relocation bar. This makes it the perfect setup to keep the rear bar with no rubbing. I personally removed the rear bar, (no ill effects)

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I used the TCE kit from HHP- get the upgraded AAD toe Rods. also get the AAD sway bar link relocation bar. This makes it the perfect setup to keep the rear bar with no rubbing. I personally removed the rear bar, (no ill effects)
Agree the sway bar link is 100% needed.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
this would require a new knuckle without the ear, quite pricey otherwise grinding is required

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
this would require a new knuckle without the ear for the sway bar, quite pricey otherwise grinding is required
HAHAHA I didn't grind on mine. I simply cut it off with a Sawzall! :ROFLMAO: clean and smooth, in under 15 seconds!

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
I bought the billet spindles after grinding a set for a friend.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Ok everybody.... Listen up! lol The dreaded grinding was because the sway bar link and the BMR toe link attachment rubbed the inside of the wheel when using the stock spindle. Along came Carlyle and they created a expensive billet spindle that moved the sway bar attachment so that it didn't have to be ground down. I got the very first one of the production versions of that. Now!!! AAD has come up with this dog bone looking relocation link that moves the sway bar to use the thru bolt for their toe link. Done deal! It's all expensive as hell, but this is the good shit and you don't have to spend $1k on that billet spindle. No grinding... done. Happy 15' conversions! Get it for Christmas instead of all that other stuff you don't really want..