Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

15" Brake Conversion??

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
The 35s are over 3" shorter than what I have now. That adds a bunch of gear which I'm not sure that it needs.
315/50 not 35s

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #23

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Must be. Get them while they last. The 55 is bigger than you need that 315 50 is perfect for you.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #25
Must be. Get them while they last. The 55 is bigger than you need that 315 50 is perfect for you.
It's 29.4 inches. 55s are 31 inches.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #26
Just ordered. I didn't want either the 35s or 55s. This works in my head. Now for some beadlocks.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Just ordered. I didn't want either the 35s or 55s. This works in my head. Now for some beadlocks.
I had good luck with balancing beads if you want to save money.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #28
I had good luck with balancing beads if you want to save money.
I've used them in the past and never got them right.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
After the great tire snafu of 2022 and 2021 I switched to 15" wheels and the brake conversion for traction and availability issues. Plenty of 275r15 and 295r15 tires available. 305s, 315 and other sizes were unobtanium.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #30
After the great tire snafu of 2022 and 2021 I switched to 15" wheels and the brake conversion for traction and availability issues. Plenty of 275r15 and 295r15 tires available. 305s, 315 and other sizes were unobtanium.
My 305-18s has lasted for 4 seasons. Still have meat on them but I think they're done.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
My 305-18s has lasted for 4 seasons. Still have meat on them but I think they're done.
I am going to agree. Both sets of my tires, the PS4S streets and Cup 2 track rears look great, but especially the street tires don’t grip like they did that first season. It is just not just a seat of the pants call here, more power or my imagination. The greatest forward g-force my vehicle recorded was when those tires were fresh that first season. This last season, I tried a few 0-60 runs. Not even close, I probably aborted every try or feathered it to the max and just ran it out. @Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC has seen what I need to do with my right foot in detail in a log, and after the tuning, I can’t go WOT until about 80! Shit, even at 80 mph or more, a quick stab can produce dangerous wheel spin. These can be dangerous and good fresh rubber is required.

Good call @DavidKFla.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #32
I am going to agree. Both sets of my tires, the PS4S streets and Cup 2 track rears look great, but especially the street tires don’t grip like they did that first season. It is just not just a seat of the pants call here, more power or my imagination. The greatest forward g-force my vehicle recorded was when those tires were fresh that first season. This last season, I tried a few 0-60 runs. Not even close, I probably aborted every try or feathered it to the max and just ran it out. @Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC has seen what I need to do with my right foot in detail in a log, and after the tuning, I can’t go WOT until about 80! Shit, even at 80 mph or more, a quick stab can produce dangerous wheel spin. These can be dangerous and good fresh rubber is required.

Good call @DavidKFla.
I've resisting going to a larger tire but now I have no choice if I want to hook up and go. Constantly spinning isn't winning.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
No more 315/50 ET R?

Goddammit.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #34
No more 315/50 ET R?

Goddammit.
I did manage to order a pair. They're just not on the Mickey Thompson website right now.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I did manage to order a pair. They're just not on the Mickey Thompson website right now.
I just didn't need to order another pair right now. Car needs street tires in the spring as-is.

I have one spare pair of 315/50. Debating on stocking up or making the switch myself now.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #36
I just didn't need to order another pair right now. Car needs street tires in the spring as-is.

I have one spare pair of 315/50. Debating on stocking up or making the switch myself now.
I only ever have what's mounted on the rims. I've never kept spares. I guess that I should bring the 18s for a backup now.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

I know I will be good next and maybe the year after so I can't see buying a set and having them set that long. May have to do the 15s but for now I'm not going to worry about it

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #38
I know I will be good next and maybe the year after so I can't see buying a set and having them set that long. May have to do the 15s but for now I'm not going to worry about it
I've had my current drag radials for 3 years. Still plenty of wear left.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I feel the need to chime in on the 15” conversion 🫤. If you want hook on those marginal (meaning shit) open track things they call test n tunes…. you will be astounded how much difference a proper 15” tire will make. I know that lots of people can point out that they ran a ________ on 17’s or even 18’s. Just right prep and a perfect launch and…. magic 🥳. Doing it consistently is the hard part. The big fat gas bag of a tire takes a lot of the shock out of the hit. It absorbs it and softly puts it to the track compared to the shorter sidewall tires. You can feel it. The shorter sidewall 17’s are more violent to the drivetrain. The 15 rides nicer on the street too. It’s like you have a air ride suspension built into the tire. Down side is… no they’re not dot legal and you don’t want to ever get caught in the rain but that could be said about the ET-R’s too.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #40
I feel the need to chime in on the 15” conversion 🫤. If you want hook on those marginal (meaning shit) open track things they call test n tunes…. you will be astounded how much difference a proper 15” tire will make. I know that lots of people can point out that they ran a ________ on 17’s or even 18’s. Just right prep and a perfect launch and…. magic 🥳. Doing it consistently is the hard part. The big fat gas bag of a tire takes a lot of the shock out of the hit. It absorbs it and softly puts it to the track compared to the shorter sidewall tires. You can feel it. The shorter sidewall 17’s are more violent to the drivetrain. The 15 rides nicer on the street too. It’s like you have a air ride suspension built into the tire. Down side is… no they’re not dot legal and you don’t want to ever get caught in the rain but that could be said about the ET-R’s too.
The 17s that I ordered has 1.4 inches of additional sidewall than the 18s I've been running. Hopefully it will hook better with my lower powered car.

The drag radial - slick only T&T and private rental that I attended recently were supposed to be well prepped. That was a lie.

Starting to wonder where or when I can attend an event equally prepped track?