Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

The RF Lockout Is Done, What's Next?

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #181
I guess my point is, as soon as you let the signal out of the bag a thief can capture it. You have to let the signal out to open the car. So not sure how that helps. Having the fobs away from the car, or in a signal blocking box, when at home probably has some merit as it would prevent someone running an amplifier up to your window or something and getting a signal to the vehicle. I'd think that only useful if you park outside though and not in a locked garage.

I'd still like to know how common signal cloning is. I think that takes much more specialized or home made equipment vs the stuff they're doing to copy a fob from the STAR port in the car.
These thieves need to start paying for their crimes. This would help deter some of this mess.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Atlanta
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Durango SRT
I guess my point is, as soon as you let the signal out of the bag a thief can capture it. You have to let the signal out to open the car. So not sure how that helps. Having the fobs away from the car, or in a signal blocking box, when at home probably has some merit as it would prevent someone running an amplifier up to your window or something and getting a signal to the vehicle. I'd think that only useful if you park outside though and not in a locked garage.

I'd still like to know how common signal cloning is. I think that takes much more specialized or home made equipment vs the stuff they're doing to copy a fob from the STAR port in the car.
I use a pouch and a box, but I carry a purse and the pouch is definitely bulky.

in the attempt the other day when they were scared off, I found this in my backyard…which is this https://a.co/d/0z2hzhs

so does the Igla prevent it from being successful? I think yes but I’m still not clear. I tried to get the TSB for the RF lockout done today and after taking it back, it said the Igla already creates a barrier and they couldn’t install the TSB… does this sound right?

Attachments

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
Yes, RF hub lockdown prevents new keys from being programmed. I'm not sure what a faraday pouch does? Maybe someone's saying they're capturing the signal from your key and "cloning" it allowing them to use their cloned fob to operate the car? That seems a bit far fetched to me and while technically possible I'm curious how prevalent that actually is.
Yes, my understanding. The scumbags can either make a new key like the dealer does by doing whatever they do under the dash (RF lockout prevents this), or they can steal the RF signal/clone it for the current key (the faraday pouches and boxes helps this).

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #184
Yes, my understanding. The scumbags can either make a new key like the dealer does by doing whatever they do under the dash (RF lockout prevents this), or they can steal the RF signal/clone it for the current key (the faraday pouches and boxes helps this).
I don't think so. You can't add another key without changing the module after it's been done. I'm stuck with the 3 that I have.

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
I don't think so. You can't add another key without changing the module after it's been done. I'm stuck with the 3 that I have.
Correct. But whatever "key" is currently programmed in the module to allow a "start" (regardless of whether the module could be reprogrammed) - that current signal can be stolen/cloned and used just like the owner's key, no?

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #186
Last edited:

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I have CompuStar, Igla and Drone Mobile and destroyer plate after being stolen and recovered in October… It was a textbook, ODB port/tear all the wires out and damaged the interior… So now I have all of that… including stickers on the windows. Two nights ago, they broke again the alarm sounded. Drone alerted me and I was able to call 911…it was eight min between the Drone alert and the police arriving and they saw the car speed away and another jump the fine into the back yard. They broke back window which triggered the alarm and then the unplugged the radio under the dash. I’m guessing they were trying to figure out how to clone the key, but couldn’t because of the Igla… my window was repaired and the radio is now reconnected… Now, what do I need to do? technically, I think everything worked as they should… But I have a feeling they’ll be back, so what’s next?
Locked garage?

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Mine stays parked in a locked garage on camera and motion sensor linked to police (if not disarmed in 30sec).

And is a stick that most under 30 can’t drive lol

Last edited:

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
N

No, it’s very easy to get and cheap and I’m not going to mention what it is.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
P
I use a pouch and a box, but I carry a purse and the pouch is definitely bulky.

in the attempt the other day when they were scared off, I found this in my backyard…which is this https://a.co/d/0z2hzhs

so does the Igla prevent it from being successful? I think yes but I’m still not clear. I tried to get the TSB for the RF lockout done today and after taking it back, it said the Igla already creates a barrier and they couldn’t install the TSB… does this sound right?
Post a screen shot I’m not clicking on that sis link or image

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Mines on jack stands 90% of the time good freaking luck

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Anyone posting what they see how they do it needs to delete all of their posts.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Mine stays parked in a locked garage on camera and motion sensor linked to police (if not disarmed in 30sec).

And is a stick that most under 30 can’t drive lol
Mine. Locked down, two cameras, alarm to the monitoring service if the garage is entered, 2’ off the ground and no wheels on it.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
How do you enjoy the car?

SWCCC

Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
palmetto
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 SRT 392 CHALLENGER
How about 24hr surveillance with dash cam? Looking into this myself....

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
My opinion and experience has been having video of it being taken didn't help much. I'm thinking the best bet is to get an immobilizer so the vehicle can't be started and no new fobs can be programmed. That'll likely defeat 90+% of the thefts that are currently happening leaving only those with tow trucks and the time to load it up to worry about. If you wanna cover that last 10% with the tow truck risk then add some kind of notification service to the immobilizer to send notifications to your phone anytime the car is disturbed.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #199
My opinion and experience has been having video of it being taken didn't help much. I'm thinking the best bet is to get an immobilizer so the vehicle can't be started and no new fobs can be programmed. That'll likely defeat 90+% of the thefts that are currently happening leaving only those with tow trucks and the time to load it up to worry about. If you wanna cover that last 10% with the tow truck risk then add some kind of notification service to the immobilizer to send notifications to your phone anytime the car is disturbed.
The guys with the repo style tow trucks can snatch and be gone in less than 3 minutes. Really no way to stop them.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
The new alarms and addons have tilt sensors that set it off if the car gets raised (like on a tow truck). Gives you a good shot at taking action there especially if your systems sends you notifications.

However, nearly all the thefts I hear about are the re-programmed keyfob method. Tow trucks cost money and aren't exactly inconspicuous.