Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

New Vibration, What Could it Be?

Bordercat_797

Active Duty U.S. Army
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
El Paso
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Dodge CHALLENGER HELLCAT REDEYE WIDEBODY
Hello everyone,
I'm seeking assistance in identifying the source of an unusual vibration in my 2020 REWB. In the past few months, I've begun to feel a vibration that wasn't there before while driving at highway speeds with light acceleration. It is most noticeable between 65 and 75 MPH, in 7th or 8th gear. I can sense the vibration on the floor, gas pedal, and seat. It's not severe enough to shake the entire car, but it is noticeable.
I've ruled out issues with the tires or alignment as the tires are nearly new, and the car was realigned after being lowered two years ago. My suspicion lies with the drive shaft or potentially the rear CV axles. The vibration only seems to occur when the car is under throttle at the aforementioned speeds. When I release the throttle, the vibration stops. Additionally, when the car is in neutral at these speeds and I apply the throttle, there's no vibration. But it reappears when I switch back to drive and accelerate. Hence, my suspicion about the drive shaft or axles.
My car has been modified and delivers over 900 horsepower to the wheels. The drive shaft is original but I've replaced the rear axles with DSS axles. I raised the car to visually inspect the drive shaft and axles, but found no loose or bent parts. However, I haven't removed the drive shaft for a thorough inspection. Interestingly, I've found that my driver-side rear CV axle exhibits almost an inch of lateral movement. Is this normal? The passenger side axle hardly moves laterally at all. I'm unsure whether I should start my investigation with the axle or remove the drive shaft for inspection. I'm open to any advice or suggestions you may have. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Jesse

Member ID
Reactions
City
Bremerton
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 SRT Super Stock 2022 Ram 1500 TRX
Check the driveshaft center support for wear.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I have what sounds like the same thing. Under load it is there but get off the gas and it is gone. I have ruled out the driveshaft so thinking it is a cv axle or differential.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Tares. Aint purdee but if da ware is wrong den high end aibrations. 1 tar wheel throw da whole car off. A ware in 2 da 1 tread will due dat. ax spansive 2 chase butt a need be. Damn itster.

Hunter

9000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Stock wheels?
Had similar with custom wheels.
Got better ones, vibration went away.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Stock wheels?
I have ruled out rear wheels and DS. My thought is one of the cv axles.

OP
Bordercat_797

Bordercat_797

Active Duty U.S. Army
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
El Paso
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
Stock wheels?
Yes, stock 20" Warp speed wheels

OP
Bordercat_797

Bordercat_797

Active Duty U.S. Army
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
El Paso
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
I have ruled out rear wheels and DS. My thought is one of the cv axles.
Do you have lateral play in one of your CV axles? I have upgraded CV axles. However, as I mentioned in my OP, the driver's side has more lateral movement than I would think would be expected.

OP
Bordercat_797

Bordercat_797

Active Duty U.S. Army
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
El Paso
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Do you have lateral play in one of your CV axles? I have upgraded CV axles. However, as I mentioned in my OP, the driver's side has more lateral movement than I would think would be expected.
I was under the car yesterday and they felt the same. I have gforce renegade axles

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Yes, stock 20" Warp speed wheels
Do you still have the stock wheels and tires? Put them back on and try it.

Also, do you have a log of what mods were done when and a date when you first noticed the vib?

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
When you put the axles in, did you notice that major lateral play? If it was solid then, and no vibration, and not solid now, and there is vibration, that's something that I would check out. Remember running over anything that might have impacted the shaft or axles at speed? No weights missing anywhere?

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
Dollars to donuts its ur DS center support...... https://www.jxbperformance.com/prod...eshaft-center-support-bearing-carrier-upgrade

Hello everyone,
I'm seeking assistance in identifying the source of an unusual vibration in my 2020 REWB. In the past few months, I've begun to feel a vibration that wasn't there before while driving at highway speeds with light acceleration. It is most noticeable between 65 and 75 MPH, in 7th or 8th gear. I can sense the vibration on the floor, gas pedal, and seat. It's not severe enough to shake the entire car, but it is noticeable.
I've ruled out issues with the tires or alignment as the tires are nearly new, and the car was realigned after being lowered two years ago. My suspicion lies with the drive shaft or potentially the rear CV axles. The vibration only seems to occur when the car is under throttle at the aforementioned speeds. When I release the throttle, the vibration stops. Additionally, when the car is in neutral at these speeds and I apply the throttle, there's no vibration. But it reappears when I switch back to drive and accelerate. Hence, my suspicion about the drive shaft or axles.
My car has been modified and delivers over 900 horsepower to the wheels. The drive shaft is original but I've replaced the rear axles with DSS axles. I raised the car to visually inspect the drive shaft and axles, but found no loose or bent parts. However, I haven't removed the drive shaft for a thorough inspection. Interestingly, I've found that my driver-side rear CV axle exhibits almost an inch of lateral movement. Is this normal? The passenger side axle hardly moves laterally at all. I'm unsure whether I should start my investigation with the axle or remove the drive shaft for inspection. I'm open to any advice or suggestions you may have. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
Aluminum one-piece DS have been known to cause vibrations bro. Get a Redeye DS.

You can send me both then because I have aluminum 1 peice ds and and have tried 2. I have ruled out ds and wheels since have tried that too.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Bro, I didn't have it before and have tried 2 ds. I'm making more power then I would trust a redeye ds to

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
I've blown one of these up too, stick with the one piece :cool:

I know this might be a long shot, do you have a drive shaft hoop? is it contacting the well/hump for the drive shaft?

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I've blown one of these up too, stick with the one piece :cool:

I know this might be a long shot, do you have a drive shaft hoop? is it contacting the well/hump for the drive shaft?
Added one this year and went high as it would go so it could be. I wouldnt think there would be much movement with the trans

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Where is the OP?

OP
Bordercat_797

Bordercat_797

Active Duty U.S. Army
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
El Paso
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #20
Finally, got the driveshaft off the car, and sure enough, the rubber on around the center carrier bearing was shot. So now the question is, should I go with the more economical fix with the JXB replacement, or go to a one-piece DS from DSS. Considering the power I am making, I am more inclined to upgrade the DS, but I would love to hear everyone's opinions or past experiences with going this route.