Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Legion of Demons 2024

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I've been watching DA and other variables when looking it up and things like water grains, baro pressure, etc seem to have quite an impact but I'm not meteorologist.

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
The 2024 LOD event was a great success. Most cars hadn’t been on a track until arriving in Dallas. Even with a late start on Friday due to the cold air and Sunday’s cancellation due to 16 degrees and sleet, there were some great runs. There were two driveshaft failures, no engine, no transmission and no diff failures. The one diff failure was an OG without brace.

There were a few runs in the 8.9s and several more under 9.2. Based on my recollection, the 8.9s were all on drag pack wheel setups. I didn't have time to get a drag pack wheel package prior to attending and ran the factory aluminum wheels resulting in a best of 9.14 @149. I’m confident of getting into the 8s with a better wheel package. It was difficult to get good launches with the factory wheel/tire even with all the track prep. Tire shake was prevalent and launching at idle with footbrake was the best method. Everyone I spoke with was footbraking the D170. It’s amazing we were getting those wheelies at idle and footbrake.

We made great progress understanding the car. Keeping the front a bit lower on launch and transferring that energy in forward motion will be key to beating the record. Once we begin working with the launch control and torque curve, times and launches will get better and more consistent. I believe Dodge’s record will be eclipsed very soon.
Good update Tom.
That 9.14 completely stock is pretty impressive IMO. :)(y)

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #103
I've been watching DA and other variables when looking it up and things like water grains, baro pressure, etc seem to have quite an impact but I'm not meteorologist.
Yep there is more to it. 10 years or so ago I never even looked at da or really thought about it. A higher humidity day will effect how the car runs even if da is close.

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Weather, as it relates to the performance of a drag car, is very interesting to me.

"Not all equal DA is equal in performance" --- primarily due to the wg and baro you mentioned.
Another thing is actual elevation. For instance Houston and Ennis are roughly 500 ft apart in actual elevation. Houston would need conditions that are "500 ft better" just to have equal conditions. Using Houston in January as an example it would be just about impossible for Ennis to have conditions that were 500 ft better without getting into such cold temps that traction becomes an issue.

I've chased this stuff around for years and it still amazes me that some "slow" days are fast and some "fast" days are slow.

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #105
Weather, as it relates to the performance of a drag car, is very interesting to me.

"Not all equal DA is equal in performance" --- primarily due to the wg and baro you mentioned.
Another thing is actual elevation. For instance Houston and Ennis are roughly 500 ft apart in actual elevation. Houston would need conditions that are "500 ft better" just to have equal conditions. Using Houston in January as an example it would be just about impossible for Ennis to have conditions that were 500 ft better without getting into such cold temps that traction becomes an issue.

I've chased this stuff around for years and it still amazes me that some "slow" days are fast and some "fast" days are slow.
We all knew dallas was not going to be as good with the extra 500 feet. Im thinking Maryland may be a better place. Moving to a different state may not be a bad idea

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
We all knew dallas was not going to be as good with the extra 500 feet. Im thinking Maryland may be a better place. Moving to a different state may not be a bad idea
I think centrally located is a big priority for the Legions event. Houston was basically ideal from a lot of perspectives. Almost all of the other tracks that are as good as Houston was at that time of year are pretty much anything but centrally located.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I'm hearing people that know how to data log are seeing injectors maxing out on these cars and bypass opening before the traps. That ain't good.

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #108
I think centrally located is a big priority for the Legions event. Houston was basically ideal from a lot of perspectives. Almost all of the other tracks that are as good as Houston was at that time of year are pretty much anything but centrally located.
Could even have a few places and move it every year. Maryland may be a November date.

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #109
I'm hearing people that know how to data log are seeing injectors maxing out on these cars and bypass opening before the traps. That ain't good.
We were questioning that from the beginning if the fuel system was big enough

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Yeah I'd like to see some of those logs. Is it pump, injector, or both.

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Perhaps a hi octane E70 or so might be a good answer to allow the cars to not over tax the fuel system yet have good enough fuel not to encounter detonation?

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
I can't imagine the DA being much lower with temps in the teens.

You start having issues with a cold surface and the tires acting like its ice
right...so maybe slightly HIGHER DA would improve times...maybe 50F or so, low humidity....

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
right...so maybe slightly HIGHER DA would improve times...maybe 50F or so, low humidity....
You'd think with all those chem trails and such we could just order up whatever weather we need for a given event. [dunno]

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #114
50s is good but need to be in a low area. 50's in colorado is still going to be over 5000 da. Where I am our track is at 750 feet. Based on my data depending on barometer it could be 50 degrees at 0 da or 600 da

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
You'd think with all those chem trails and such we could just order up whatever weather we need for a given event. [dunno]
IMG_1902.jpeg

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
50s is good but need to be in a low area. 50's in colorado is still going to be over 5000 da. Where I am our track is at 750 feet. Based on my data depending on barometer it could be 50 degrees at 0 da or 600 da
Of course, yes. I was assuming ~sea level

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
We're at 32 ft but it's usually higher humidity. We can hit some drier days this time of year.

This is why people are currently testing like crazy in florida right now.

Reillyrob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Redeye
We're at 32 ft but it's usually higher humidity. We can hit some drier days this time of year.

This is why people are currently testing like crazy in florida right now.
We’re testing tomorrow

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
We’re testing tomorrow
I was going to come over but it's too cold for me.

Reillyrob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Redeye