Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

G force axles is this a problem????

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 Challenger Super Stock
What I don’t like is any company that try’s the finger pointing game! 2295 is a lot of money to throw down and break with no warranty. “Can you tell I’m retired?”

OP
Hatermkr

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
Thread Starter #82
What I don’t like is any company that try’s the finger pointing game! 2295 is a lot of money to throw down and break with no warranty. “Can you tell I’m retired?”
I agree. 1100 per day on these

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 Challenger Super Stock
I agree. 1100 per day on these
I’m that guy sitting on the fence knowing I’ll be needing axles after seeing my buddy break his a few weeks ago. I was going with outlaws but now I’ll get them fancy DDS axles from HHP. Just need a discount code 😆

OP
Hatermkr

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
Thread Starter #84
I’m that guy sitting on the fence knowing I’ll be needing axles after seeing my buddy break his a few weeks ago. I was going with outlaws but now I’ll get them fancy DDS axles from HHP. Just need a discount code 😆
That’s what I have coming now. Said I have more in this rear end than a one off 9 inch in my GNX.

DemonSRT

500 Posts Club
Donating Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kawartha Lakes
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Built in Canada 2018 Demon #3135
Here’s your first stubs that were twisting in a stock rear after only 3-4 passes. GForce replaced them for you for $300 each if I remember correctly?

They replaced mine completely with a new set because the stubs were undersize and wobbled in the Diff. The splines showed signs of wear and they didn’t even have 1000 miles on them. I think their having quality issues from their supplier, these things should not be twisting like they are.

I’m not impressed with them for the price. If I could get my money back I would and try the new DSS solid ones. I know a guy that was in DSS test group beating on them for over a year now running 5.6 in the 1/8 1.2 60 fts and they are holding up perfect so far.

View attachment 96105 View attachment 96106
Even though these stub shafts show some twist, there does appear to be a bit more engagement of the spline length with the OEM diff then with the Wavetrac. Back in the day, 70's-80's, when we were using axles made by Mark Williams, Summers or Strange, a certain amount of twist was something very normal and expected and still would not break. We just continued using them. If they reached an amount of twist that was beyond the manufacturers allowance, then we were told by that spec to replace them. This happened to all axles and our power level wasn't even as high as what we are getting out of our engines now. We were always removing the axles back then and checking them for twist. We even used to make a straight paint mark along the entire length when we first installed them to be able to monitor them over time. Keep in mind that you can allow more twist on a long shaft used in a live axle vs a short stub shaft used in a IRS so the allowable twist will be less. This might be something that we will have to consider and keep an eye on, no matter how strong the manufactures make them. Maybe they should start looking at gun drilling them like they are doing to the live axles today. Tube is not only stronger, (more resistent to permanent twist), but also snaps back to it's original shape better then solid does, and is lighter.

Last edited:

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
And BTW Cole ( i think some of you will remember him) once posted a warning how he installed G-force axles and did install them backwards.
He was irritated about the couple of hours more to redo his work.
How is Cole? He still around, anywhere?

OP
Hatermkr

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
Thread Starter #87
244EF786-1465-4C37-B8BC-B9B8F36C5C28.jpeg
fix is In

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
I'm subscribed, maybe more people will comment about axle failures in here. Right now as it is I'm not buying either companies.
Well I am now in the axle breaking club. I just sat and re-read this thread. Now at a fork in the road. Shit or get off the pot. Buy the gforce axles that might shit the bed or buy another brands. Imma drink on it and then flip a coin 😭

OP
Hatermkr

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
Thread Starter #89
Well I am now in the axle breaking club. I just sat and re-read this thread. Now at a fork in the road. Shit or get off the pot. Buy the gforce axles that might shit the bed or buy another brands. Imma drink on it and then flip a coin 😭
I guess it comes down to availability. I know I’m selling my GForce but the power I’m making it in the upper 10% off lx cars. What may not work for me can work for someone that is not going to go to my extreme.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I'm on the renegades so the outlaws would be a step up

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I guess it comes down to availability. I know I’m selling my GForce but the power I’m making it in the upper 10% off lx cars. What may not work for me can work for someone that is not going to go to my extreme.
So what are you going to?

OP
Hatermkr

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
Thread Starter #92
So what are you going to?
I bought the last set of axles that where available I have dds

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Do you went with the new DSS ones @Hatermkr ?

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
So I know this thread has been dead for a minute but let me ressurrect it. I'm currently taking courses in 3D Modelling and CAD for Motorsports. We just got done with the module for stress risers. Not to nerd this thread up but here is the following commentary on it...

The overall strength of the axle is dictated by the smallest diameter which is typically at the root of the splines. Conventional thinking when it comes to making a stronger part would be to increase the diameter of the axle but unless the root diameter of the spline is also increased, it's not going to help. Regardless of the diameter of the rest of the axle, the failure will always occur at the root of the splines. Instead, what you'll usually find is that the diameter of the axle is maintained the same as the root of the spline and attention is also paid to any transition in diameter of the axle. Particularly at the end of the splines in order to ensure it's nicely radiused to prevent stress concentration.
@Hatermkr was your break at the root of the spines. Sorry for this randomness but this was just me connecting the dots.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
So I know this thread has been dead for a minute but let me ressurrect it. I'm currently taking courses in 3D Modelling and CAD for Motorsports. We just got done with the module for stress risers. Not to nerd this thread up but here is the following commentary on it...

@Hatermkr was your break at the root of the spines. Sorry for this randomness but this was just me connecting the dots.
Cad is where it’s at if you can get with a company to make large batches, auto desk and solid works ftw. I design and 3D print parts as well but no one to make the parts

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
@hellno saw the carnage on IG, lets compare notes, heres mine!
IMG_7481.png

OP
Hatermkr

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
Thread Starter #97

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Yep that’s the problem,and they will say the axle wasn’t fully engaged

Attachments

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Maybe they need to work on fitment of their axle so it is fully engaged

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

The interesting thing about that statement is that the cross-sectional area doesn't change between the area that twisted and what would be the "fully engaged" position.

(i.e., the shear stress doesn't decrease in a notable way, at least not until you get to a much closer area towards the tip)