Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Cheap car cover---Any issues?

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I found these cheap car covers on Amazon and thought I would give them a try. I only hope to prevent dust from settling on my car in the garage. I liked the idea that I could just throw it out and put on a new one. My car is very rarely driven, so the cost is not really an issue. Are there any issues you all can think of in having my car under basically a large trash bag? Corrosion is one concern, but I do live in the desert, so not sure of that's even really an issue? Anything else that might do more harm than good with a cheap plastic cover like this? Screenshot_20231105-201220.png
?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I heard that they will sometimes "melt" onto the car and F up the paint. Don't know if it's true or not.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I know body shops use them to cover cars in the shop & keep them from getting airborne over-spray from other jobs. Not sure I'd leave something non-breathable on for a long period. Paint, rubber, vinyl etc. all outgas constantly & that is being trapped by a plastic cover.

MJS73

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moparland
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat
You spent more than $70,000 on a car and now you want to cheap out on a car cover.

Last edited:

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
I bought a two tone Covercraft for mine don’t remember which model but I believe it ran $600 or so. Fits amazing and protects indoors or out.
Plastic might hold dust and dirt under because of static and possibly scratch?
We use those to cover vehicles in production during prolonged shit downs and maintenance weeks to protect cars in build process that have been painted. We covered every car in the plant with those plastic sheets during Covid shut down which lasted two months.
IMG_3812.jpeg

OP
45-70govt

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #6
Thanks all for the feedback. As expected this thread has changed my mind on what I have, so I better look for a good cover, and keep the plastic covers for something else. @Bobo thanks for the pic of yours, it looks like a good cover! Any other cover recommendations? I just mainly need something that will not allow any dust thru as I do live in the desert and no matter what the dust somehow finds its way into the garage.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
OP
45-70govt

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #8

TorRedHellgato

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
New York
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Coverking.com

got their indoor satin cover for my hellcat charger. Fits like a glove. Worth every penny

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thanks for the link, that is the one I was looking at. Do you have that cover? If so how is the dust protection on it?
I've only ever used the indoor/outdoor one (on several different cars) and it does a good job keeping the dust out. But, I'm in FL and we don't have the desert sand issue you guys do. I understand it produces a much finer dust.

Do be careful taking it off !! I carefully release the corners, then fold up the sides, then roll or fold the cover from the hood to the tail (don't drag it across the car). Much, much easier to do with 2 people + then you can take it outside & shake it off. Just make sure it never touches the ground in the process.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I've only ever used the indoor/outdoor one (on several different cars) and it does a good job keeping the dust out. But, I'm in FL and we don't have the desert sand issue you guys do. I understand it produces a much finer dust.

Do be careful taking it off !! I carefully release the corners, then fold up the sides, then roll or fold the cover from the hood to the tail (don't drag it across the car). Much, much easier to do with 2 people + then you can take it outside & shake it off. Just make sure it never touches the ground in the process.
That sounds like alot of work. Can you actually get the wife to help without complaining?

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
That sounds like alot of work. Can you actually get the wife to help without complaining?
As with most things, not without complaining ...............

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Plastic is a temporary and disposable cover. I have been using California Car Covers for over 30 years. They are custom fitted for your car, thick and very protective against possible dings or abrasions. My Charger cover was a StormeWeave Plus. It came in gray. They call it an outdoor cover but I used mine 99% indoors. It’s 5 layers thick but the inside layer is soft and easy on the paint finish. I bought it because I occasionally drive my car to events and stayed overnight. The StormWeave Plus offered the best protection against any possible hail. It was in the $200 price range and I highly recommend it @45-70govt. They have several other types available but that one had the best overall features.
Features:
  • Outdoor Car Cover Material
  • Also Great for Indoor Use as it is dust proof
  • High Sun UV Protection
  • Durable, All Weather Protection - UV, Water & Weather Resistant
  • Custom-Fit for the exact year/make/model
  • Matching mirror and antenna pockets included where applicable
  • Thick 5 layer material is great for ding protection
  • Elasticized edges keep dirt and dust out
  • Soft fleece inner-liner to pamper vehicle finish
  • 3 Year warranty
  • California Car Cover logo on the front so that you may easily find the front of the cover. If you would like your cover without a logo on the front, please call to order.

image.jpg

Last edited:

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Also, CCC prices are good.

Detroitboy

U.S. Marine Veteran
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Macomb
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Redeye
Don't use that plastic one. It ate into my paint and I had to buff the fog/stain out.
Also any car cover that does not have mirror pockets is a POS cheap cover no matter what they advertise. Custom my ass....and without mirror pockets putting a cover on a nice polished car surface is pretty tough since it slides around.

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
I have used those for the past 10 years on ALL my vehicles in the snow. Their cheap, I just throw them out after I remove the snow. I buy them in packs of 20.

Ive used them indoors before but thats kinda silly considering u can buy an indoor one for a $100 or so. The indoor plastic one doesnt really keep the dust out all that good tho but better than nothing.

I found these cheap car covers on Amazon and thought I would give them a try. I only hope to prevent dust from settling on my car in the garage. I liked the idea that I could just throw it out and put on a new one. My car is very rarely driven, so the cost is not really an issue. Are there any issues you all can think of in having my car under basically a large trash bag? Corrosion is one concern, but I do live in the desert, so not sure of that's even really an issue? Anything else that might do more harm than good with a cheap plastic cover like this? View attachment 120800
?

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
No offense but thats not custom thats like a drape over ur car. Covercraft I have found to be superior to all over car covers. Custom means its form fitted to one car including the mirrors.

There is nothing custom about that its generic and will fit any car that approx size. Im sure the material is nice tho but it just looks cheap all draped over it like that. And it doesnt even form fit to the front of the car. My Covercraft was literally like a form fitted glove over my entire car front to back and even protected most of the tire cause it was so form fitted to the car.

Plastic is a temporary and disposable cover. I have been using California Car Covers for over 30 years. They are custom fitted for your car, thick and very protective against possible dings or abrasions. My Charger cover was a StormeWeave Plus. It came in gray. They call it an outdoor cover but I used mine 99% indoors. It’s 5 layers thick but the inside layer is soft and easy on the paint finish. I bought it because I occasionally drive my car to events and stayed overnight. The StormWeave Plus offered the best protection against any possible hail. It was in the $200 price range and I highly recommend it @45-70govt. They have several other types available but that one had the best overall features.
Features:
  • Outdoor Car Cover Material
  • Also Great for Indoor Use as it is dust proof
  • High Sun UV Protection
  • Durable, All Weather Protection - UV, Water & Weather Resistant
  • Custom-Fit for the exact year/make/model
  • Matching mirror and antenna pockets included where applicable
  • Thick 5 layer material is great for ding protection
  • Elasticized edges keep dirt and dust out
  • Soft fleece inner-liner to pamper vehicle finish
  • 3 Year warranty
  • California Car Cover logo on the front so that you may easily find the front of the cover. If you would like your cover without a logo on the front, please call to order.

View attachment 120870

Last edited:

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Platic melts at 158 degrees Bob. I find that unlikely but maybe in that scorching HEAT in Florida who knows lol.....

I heard that they will sometimes "melt" onto the car and F up the paint. Don't know if it's true or not.

OP
45-70govt

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #19
Thanks for all the advice. I ended up ordering the indoor Covercraft 5 layer cover. Not had a chance to put it on yet, but excited to get the glorified trash bag off the car and give her the quality cover she deserves.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thanks for all the advice. I ended up ordering the indoor Covercraft 5 layer cover. Not had a chance to put it on yet, but excited to get the glorified trash bag off the car and give her the quality cover she deserves.
Was it shipped in a small box? All wrinkled?