Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Ceramic coating

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Something about washing my car I like. Only go to the car wash in the winter

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #42
I can’t believe you bring the car through the touchless the soaps aren’t always the greatest for the paint that they use. With your OCD it surprises me 😂

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Ceramic coating 😉

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
In the winter I don't have much of a choice. Touchless or let it fester. So it goes every couple weeks.

I'm gonna start using the salt-off/salts gone regularly on all the daily vehicles as well as treat the hellcat once a year.

If it really is the salt eating things up (not just the frame obvs) this should help with that.

RAMBLE1

Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
NORTH FLORIDA
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 CHALLENGER HELLCAT TorRed RED / REDEYE
The 2 black vehicles both needed to be rinsed with deionized water or something with 0 TDS. Most city/well sources are not even close.

"Spotless" rinse, blow dry & towel up the excess always worked for me.

I purchased p&s iron buster and brake buster for this year. Eager to try them out.

I would like an easy spray/wipe detailer that does NOT LEAVE STREAKS OR RESIDUE. I have not found one yet. Does beadmaker accomplish this?
I have a 2017 Yellow Challenger Hellcat. I have been using Meguires' (Gold Class - high gloss) detailer spray. I have been pleased with the results. I give the car a bath, gentle wipe-down and 1 or 2 applications of the detailer, about once a month. I have had many favorable comments. I have used Meguires' detailer for many years, with excellent results. We are lucky, no wintertime road salt, in Florida. I use Meguires' detailer on my four cars, beautiful results, very inexpensive process and takes about 10-15 minutes.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I have a 2017 Yellow Challenger Hellcat. I have been using Meguires' (Gold Class - high gloss) detailer spray. I have been pleased with the results. I give the car a bath, gentle wipe-down and 1 or 2 applications of the detailer, about once a month. I have had many favorable comments. I have used Meguires' detailer for many years, with excellent results. We are lucky, no wintertime road salt, in Florida. I use Meguires' detailer on my four cars, beautiful results, very inexpensive process and takes about 10-15 minutes.
The Meguire's (all flavors) all left a slight "rainbow" streak or residue no matter what technique used.

I'm not sure what the deal is. I just don't have good luck with quick detailer at all.

I'm so desperate I'm about to put up a tent/carport just for detailing purposes to block all direct sunlight and vent it for one directional airflow. Lol

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I can’t believe you bring the car through the touchless the soaps aren’t always the greatest for the paint that they use. With your OCD it surprises me 😂
There are some that use a good package of cleaners. When I had the Daytona ceramic coated in Grand Rapids at the place most dealerships do the guy I was talking to about it happens to live right by me. He was saying the car wash I use does use some good soaps. He has since moved I was told and took a different role in the company selling their cleaners/soaps around the state

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
So another story on the car wash. Back when I had my 13 mustang and Teresa had her 13 Charger, I would wax my car at least once a year and never drove it in the winter. Teresa drove hers year round and went to the car wash 90% of the time. Her car felt smoother then mine at the end of the summer

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Ceramic is practically impenetrable from what I've seen. Bird poop etc which is much harsher than a touchless car wash hasn't left so much as a blemish on my paint. I'm going on 5 years now so we'll see how long it actually lasts. The installer said 10 years if left out in the weather or practically lifetime if kept in the garage. I also use Ech2O as a detailer which helps fortify the ceramic.

RAMBLE1

Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
NORTH FLORIDA
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 CHALLENGER HELLCAT TorRed RED / REDEYE
The Meguire's (all flavors) all left a slight "rainbow" streak or residue no matter what technique used.

I'm not sure what the deal is. I just don't have good luck with quick detailer at all.

I'm so desperate I'm about to put up a tent/carport just for detailing purposes to block all direct sunlight and vent it for one directional airflow. Lol
I have had a few problems, with the detailers, also. It is a must, to wash and detail in the shade. Always apply a fine spray, never a large amount of detailer. Also, turn the cloth many times, while removing the detailer. Secondly, if the humidity is very high or there is dew on the car, not good. I will bring the car inside, wait then detail. Here in Florida, humidity and evening dew on the car is a real problem. I believe, whatever process you use, there is good and bad. The good things about detailers, low cost and the application process is quick and easy and the results are really nice. I'm sure the ceramic applications are beautiful, but expensive. Many people do not believe a 10 minute detail will give a shine, that nice!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Get this and do it yourself. It's 75% as good as the pro stuff from my experience.

https://amzn.to/36dp1DE

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
In the winter I don't have much of a choice. Touchless or let it fester. So it goes every couple weeks.

I'm gonna start using the salt-off/salts gone regularly on all the daily vehicles as well as treat the hellcat once a year.

If it really is the salt eating things up (not just the frame obvs) this should help with that.
2 words ---- winter beater !

I was a big Meguire's fan for a long time, but then it seemed to start leaving a 'build up' on the cars that I did not care for.
Switched to the Beadmaker & never looked back.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
2 words ---- winter beater !
That would be what the truck is for...but I still try to keep it clean.

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
My 18 TA 392 was coated with Cquartz I think it was pro, not sure. Car sat outside in the elements and I daily drove it 52,000 miles through 2 PA/MD winters, so ash, salt, brine etc. I washed it as I could in winter with touchless car washes and hand washed it with the Cquartz soap whenever the temps would allow. In summer it was once maybe twice a week depending on rain. Every third wash used Ech2O spray to "restore" it. It lost some beading on teh rear and rear parts of the fenders and lower doors where most of the dirt goes but overall it still beaded well. The main thing was the paint still looked fantastic when I traded it. Would I get that with wax, maybe, was it a lot less work, YES, was it worth the $1200 probably not since I only kept the car 2 years but I dont regret doing it.

Did it to my 1320. 18,000 miles and 2.5 years (garaged this time) and the paint is still amazing, car still beads like crazy. YMMV.

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #55
So I bought some Iron remover. I hit one section of a panel 2 days ago. When I went to wash it yesterday the beading did come back for that one spot. I also hit it with chemical guys hydro boost spray. I didn't want to buy it because I thought it was kind of expensive but I will say it went a really long ways. My hose is not on the house water softener I may have to change that. But with winter finishing up I am going to keep and eye on beading first. I have another bottle of ceramic still I will apply the rest to the car and then the bike. Since I have it might as well use it. I really do want to try and use Adams graphene on a vehicle next year they claim 9+ years. I would be curious if iron causes as much of an issue or not. I read and watch a lot of videos but most are sponsored so you never really know the truth.
I used a non professional brand Armor Shield. I paid for the explorer and they used ziebart. I am actual more please with the armor shield feel over the Ziebart. But I am wondering if being a brand new vehicle they didn't clay it like they should have. Regardless I brought the explorer back today for them to do it over.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
The touchless I go through "supposedly" has filtered water. It doesn't seem to leave spots, but I do blow the car off really well which helps I'm sure.

When I do hand wash it at home, I have a water filter I use that makes a HUGE difference and zero spots. If you have a home water softener I'd definitely get that setup to work for washing your car.

I don't have a home waters softener so I bought this: https://amzn.to/3w9vhYe

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #57
The touchless I go through "supposedly" has filtered water. It doesn't seem to leave spots, but I do blow the car off really well which helps I'm sure.

When I do hand wash it at home, I have a water filter I use that makes a HUGE difference and zero spots. If you have a home water softener I'd definitely get that setup to work for washing your car.

I don't have a home waters softener so I bought this: https://amzn.to/3w9vhYe
Luckily, I have a hose that is in the garage and other that are on the exterior of the house so I will only move the one over.
Surprised me you don't have a softener you guys must have good water. I am on a well. But my friends who live in town on the town water had to put a softener and iron filter in the towns water is so bad. For all the natural lakes Michigan has we aren't known for water quality.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Our water is terrible actually. I have to soak our shower heads, faucets, etc in vinegar about once every 3 months to remove the lime scale.

I'm too cheap to put in a water softener.

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #59
@Speedy! do you know what the Professional brand is they used on yours? I was researching some of the differences between pro and DIY. It sounds like some of the pro stuff has less SIO2 but that is because they want multiple coats applied for hardness. The SIO2 builds up over the multiple coats.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Gtechniq Pro. Same brand as the DIY stuff I used but DIY is "Lite" not "Pro". Supposedly Lite has less ceramic in it so less chance of a DIY messing it up. If it gets wet it flash hardens and you have to buff it off with a lot of effort (machine polisher). I had no issues what so ever doing two cars myself though and I'd for sure do the DIY before I hired someone. The main thing the pros do is the paint correction before applying the ceramic. The paint on my cars was perfect before hand so wasn't a variable for me. If you have scratches/swirls you'll want those polished out first else the ceramic seals them in.