Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Today it was my turn ------

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
-------- to be pulled over by the po po :(

Was out for my usual Sunday am drive in the Hellcat. Had some asswipe in a large 4 door Benz pull out in front of me from a side road. Since there was no other traffic & it was a passing zone, I blew by the guy & continued. There was some dude in a white SUV that was tracking behind me, but he was unable to pass the Benz & got stuck behind him. Eventually I caught up to a stupid lifted PU poking along (in a no passing zone of course) and the other 2 caught up.

We got to where the road goes to 4 lanes & the PU went to the right lane & I slid past him on the left. Was looking in the rear view to see what the other 2 were doing & I could tell the Benz dick was messing with the SUV and boxing him in behind the truck. Apparently he got bored with that & zoomed up on me, going into the right lane & hanging in my blind spot. I was coming up on where I turn right to head for home (and the speed limit ratchets down from 55 to 45, then 40 in about 2000 feet) & Mr dickhead was still dogging me. Soooooo I prodded the go pedal to get in front of him only to look up & see the cruiser sitting on the other side of the road. I got on the brakes to slow down & Benz dude whipped into the left lane & blew by, radar detector never went off but the cop fired up his lights and pulled out. At 1st I thought (hoped) he had seen what the Benz dude was up to, but it was me he wanted.

He said he clocked me @ 62 in the 40 zone. I told him what had been going on with the Benz & that I had been trying to shake the guy, but it was clear he intended to give me a ticket. Took my DL (didn't even wait for me to fish out my ins card & registration), went to the cruiser & came back with ticket in hand. He glanced @ the other docs & handed them back. He did only write me for 9 over, so $130 fine + $20 for traffic school (if I want to beat the points) - 1st ticket in about 30 years.

Not going to break the bank, but still sucks. I think I'm more pissed off @ the jackass in the Benz that caused the whole mess & skated away :mad:

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Yeah tickets & dick heads on the road are never fun.

T_Trahan44

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2012 Challenger SXT
Glad he only pulled you for 9 over. I don’t know how strict your state is, but you can try to fight it. I doubt the officer would even show up to battle it. 🤷🏻

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Damn sorry to hear and yep I know the experience so damn well😡. Back in 2008 I had a similar situation on the 495 DC Beltway in Md. I owned a 2008 Corvette Z06 and just like you a DH in a 5 series BMW was in front of me snd then I went around him snd then he went around me. I pass him again since he slowed down in the far fast left lane. He’s riding my ass like NASCAR no joke. An opening came up for me to just blow this guy away and I go right right lane and I know I hit big numbers and a state boy out of nowhere is all of sudden on my ass like NASCAR border line bumper push on me. Holly crap what a joke as I pull over on the right shoulder. A young guy comes up and asks for my registration, license and insurance. I sit there for awhile thinking hit damn it that ass hole in the Beamer created all this. The young State Cop comes up to me snd says what’s going on and I explain it to him calmly snd he looked at my driving record which was clean and he says looks like tour just airing out your really nice Corvette 😁. He says I could wrote you up for possible aggressive driving but I wont but next time I will have a good day😁. Wow I was like damn lol.
2F39DF56-16DA-40BC-95C4-9D8644B3C470.jpeg 14570A8F-26A7-4CB9-9C6A-F81A386ABCD0.jpeg

OP
MikeD1

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #5
Glad he only pulled you for 9 over. I don’t know how strict your state is, but you can try to fight it. I doubt the officer would even show up to battle it. 🤷🏻
Not worth the risk, they do tend to show up here + most of the judges are not very lenient + he noted on the citation the 'observed speed' + the radar detector was sitting on the dash. Easiest path is to just pay the $150 & sit thru the stupid class (they are on-line now).

What I really want to know is why the stupid detector didn't go off, they are using Stalker Patrol K band units, nothing exotic :mad:

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Not worth the risk, they do tend to show up here + most of the judges are not very lenient + he noted on the citation the 'observed speed' + the radar detector was sitting on the dash. Easiest path is to just pay the $150 & sit thru the stupid class (they are on-line now).

What I really want to know is why the stupid detector didn't go off, they are using Stalker Patrol K band units, nothing exotic :mad:
Maybe he did you a favor by writing "observed speed" and not that he had you on radar.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I had a cop ask me once why I didn't slow down after my detector went off.....I told him I didn't hear it cuz I was blasting the radio too loud.....which I was :p

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Definitely sucks to get a ticket...however I'd say you're pretty lucky to have been only caught 62MPH if you were goosing it a bit. A couple seconds of flat out can get you to some pretty unmentionable speeds.

I got really lucky coming home from the track Saturday evening in my Viper. There's a long, one lane route coming from CT to lower NY/LI. The speed limits constantly change between 35-55MPH along the way. There's usually some slow ass truck in front of you, but I had a nice stretch. Wasn't gunning it or anything, but was cruising along trying to make good time home. Was definitely going well above the upper speed limit when I saw a State Trooper staked out. I got in the brakes pretty fast and passed him. I was expecting him to pull out (was definitely staked for speeding tickets), but he didn't. Not sure if I was in a 35 or 55, but thought maybe it was a 55 and I had braked early enough to make it not worth it for him. Or he was on his phone not clocking.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
-------- to be pulled over by the po po :(

Was out for my usual Sunday am drive in the Hellcat. Had some asswipe in a large 4 door Benz pull out in front of me from a side road. Since there was no other traffic & it was a passing zone, I blew by the guy & continued. There was some dude in a white SUV that was tracking behind me, but he was unable to pass the Benz & got stuck behind him. Eventually I caught up to a stupid lifted PU poking along (in a no passing zone of course) and the other 2 caught up.

We got to where the road goes to 4 lanes & the PU went to the right lane & I slid past him on the left. Was looking in the rear view to see what the other 2 were doing & I could tell the Benz dick was messing with the SUV and boxing him in behind the truck. Apparently he got bored with that & zoomed up on me, going into the right lane & hanging in my blind spot. I was coming up on where I turn right to head for home (and the speed limit ratchets down from 55 to 45, then 40 in about 2000 feet) & Mr dickhead was still dogging me. Soooooo I prodded the go pedal to get in front of him only to look up & see the cruiser sitting on the other side of the road. I got on the brakes to slow down & Benz dude whipped into the left lane & blew by, radar detector never went off but the cop fired up his lights and pulled out. At 1st I thought (hoped) he had seen what the Benz dude was up to, but it was me he wanted.

He said he clocked me @ 62 in the 40 zone. I told him what had been going on with the Benz & that I had been trying to shake the guy, but it was clear he intended to give me a ticket. Took my DL (didn't even wait for me to fish out my ins card & registration), went to the cruiser & came back with ticket in hand. He glanced @ the other docs & handed them back. He did only write me for 9 over, so $130 fine + $20 for traffic school (if I want to beat the points) - 1st ticket in about 30 years.

Not going to break the bank, but still sucks. I think I'm more pissed off @ the jackass in the Benz that caused the whole mess & skated away :mad:
Should have taken you to jail!

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Damn sorry to hear and yep I know the experience so damn well😡. Back in 2008 I had a similar situation on the 495 DC Beltway in Md. I owned a 2008 Corvette Z06 and just like you a DH in a 5 series BMW was in front of me snd then I went around him snd then he went around me. I pass him again since he slowed down in the far fast left lane. He’s riding my ass like NASCAR no joke. An opening came up for me to just blow this guy away and I go right right lane and I know I hit big numbers and a state boy out of nowhere is all of sudden on my ass like NASCAR border line bumper push on me. Holly crap what a joke as I pull over on the right shoulder. A young guy comes up and asks for my registration, license and insurance. I sit there for awhile thinking hit damn it that ass hole in the Beamer created all this. The young State Cop comes up to me snd says what’s going on and I explain it to him calmly snd he looked at my driving record which was clean and he says looks like tour just airing out your really nice Corvette 😁. He says I could wrote you up for possible aggressive driving but I wont but next time I will have a good day😁. Wow I was like damn lol.
View attachment 49895 View attachment 49896
Nice looking vette CC, My favorite color ! ;)

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
View attachment 49895 View attachment 49896
Needed to take you to jail!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Riding motorcycles and driving fast cars my entire life I've had my share of incidences. In my old car I got a ticket literally leaving a stop light. Saw the Po Po across the street, two of them standing on the side walk with radar guns in their hands and a third in a Lowe's parking lot writing tickets to the folks motioned over.

Of course they motion me in to the Lowe's lot since I'm driving a bright orange loud muscle car. Says he clocked me at 47 in 30. I'm like OK, funny since I've been watching you guys for 5 minutes and my detector has been going off for a mile, "Wanna reconsider?". Nope writes it. Had my gal in the car at the time and so now I have a witness as well, no way I was speeding.

The story is actually pretty good but too long to type and more than ya'll wanna read so ask me about it at ChallengerFest if you come. Short version is I fought that ticket tooth and nail, ran subpoena's for all kinds of documents from the police department from maintenance records on the device used to the officer's training certificates/scores. In the end their captain had to show up to speak to why they didn't have maintenance records at the third "continuance". I kept motioning for a dismissal but the small town judge kept giving the Po Po more leeway and I guess hoped I'd just give up since I kept having to take off work to come to court. I called the radar gun manufacturer to get the owner's manual myself and presented it in court as an exhibit to poor handling of equipment by the PD. Was kinda fun to make the police tap dance a bit, but in the end the judge still found me guilty (I knew she would small town remember).

Fine was gonna be like $275 or something as they tried to hit me with multiple court costs, but when I told them to put me on a 3 year payment plan suddenly it was reduced to $100 and $50 for traffic school. Judge said she normally didn't allow school for a contested ticket, but I had "one of the best defense she'd ever seen for a traffic citation". Then why find me guiltily! LOL I was tempted to appeal, but figured why bother, I'd had my fun. Was actually worth the $150.

My dad was retired LEO and when I told him what happened he said they would never have found me not guilty as they were probably worried it would open the flood gates for everyone else since I'd found so many policies not being followed.

Years later I got a legit ticket, and I just went in to pay it and the court clerk actually remembered me from that day haha.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
One of my first "cases" was both a speeding and a "riding two to a lane" motorcycle violation. Two friends of mine. This was no longer even illegal in Texas. Anyway, I walked them through what to do (including sworn and notarized witness statements which illicited a "you've had help on this" from the prosecutor) and how to pick the proper jury. They walked.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Riding motorcycles and driving fast cars my entire life I've had my share of incidences. In my old car I got a ticket literally leaving a stop light. Saw the Po Po across the street, two of them standing on the side walk with radar guns in their hands and a third in a Lowe's parking lot writing tickets to the folks motioned over.

Of course they motion me in to the Lowe's lot since I'm driving a bright orange loud muscle car. Says he clocked me at 47 in 30. I'm like OK, funny since I've been watching you guys for 5 minutes and my detector has been going off for a mile, "Wanna reconsider?". Nope writes it. Had my gal in the car at the time and so now I have a witness as well, no way I was speeding.

The story is actually pretty good but too long to type and more than ya'll wanna read so ask me about it at ChallengerFest if you come. Short version is I fought that ticket tooth and nail, ran subpoena's for all kinds of documents from the police department from maintenance records on the device used to the officer's training certificates/scores. In the end their captain had to show up to speak to why they didn't have maintenance records at the third "continuance". I kept motioning for a dismissal but the small town judge kept giving the Po Po more leeway and I guess hoped I'd just give up since I kept having to take off work to come to court. I called the radar gun manufacturer to get the owner's manual myself and presented it in court as an exhibit to poor handling of equipment by the PD. Was kinda fun to make the police tap dance a bit, but in the end the judge still found me guilty (I knew she would small town remember).

Fine was gonna be like $275 or something as they tried to hit me with multiple court costs, but when I told them to put me on a 3 year payment plan suddenly it was reduced to $100 and $50 for traffic school. Judge said she normally didn't allow school for a contested ticket, but I had "one of the best defense she'd ever seen for a traffic citation". Then why find me guiltily! LOL I was tempted to appeal, but figured why bother, I'd had my fun. Was actually worth the $150.

My dad was retired LEO and when I told him what happened he said they would never have found me not guilty as they were probably worried it would open the flood gates for everyone else since I'd found so many policies not being followed.

Years later I got a legit ticket, and I just went in to pay it and the court clerk actually remembered me from that day haha.
Geesh they must have been really bored. The two tickets I've ever had I made informal hearings. Sounds like you may have done a formal hearing. Next time I recommend informal. You meet with a prosecutor. If the court house is busy which it was both times for me. I just have went off into a side office.
Wait for the cop come in and say I won't even try to fight it if you just make me pay the fine with no points. Luckily, both times they only marked me for 5 over. So around 100 bucks each. Both my tickets were in a neighboring county. The one time I was pulled over in my own county I knew the cop and we laughed. But that was for tint he let me go.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
That's the kicker around here, there is no prosecutor for traffic citations, they did away with them. So now the police officer who issues the citation is both the witness and prosecutor which is absurd. It's a big time racket around here.

My first visit to the court I asked for plea for no points and just pay the speeding fine and was told "you have to tell the judge that". I said, OK fine. Here's the list of things I want subpoenaed for my first appearance. Shoulda seen the look on the lady's face.

Had I appealed I would have won. If I could go back and do it again I would have just for spite but at the time I had taken several days off to go to court and was kinda bored with it.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
Couple of years ago I went to traffic school for a ticket. Instructor said we couldn't watch the film so he was going to do the class verbaly. He covered a lot of stuff and we all just sat there like a bunch of dummies.:sleep: At lunch break, he said there would be a written test covering the morning lecture.:eek: Never seen so many guys and gals cussing and trying to remember all the info. We were desparate:eek::poop:
After the class finished, he says " Now about the written test; I lied. ":love::) There is a God.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I had a similar experience for my last traffic school. Officer was really cool and went around the room asking what we did to get in "detention" he called it. That took up about an hour by the time we all went back and forth. Then he cut us loose and said if you're asked you were here 8 hours LOL.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
That's government corruption! But then, it IS Tennessee :)

Rcasa20

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Indian Shores
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye Widebody (sold)
A lot of cops in my area love the OT money that comes along with court battles!!