Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Tim Kuniskis' Article in Hot Rod

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Pretty much what we thought since the news release of the SS, but good to hear it from the man.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
we also rated the car on pump gas, and the car ran 9.90 seconds on pump gas without the skinnies on the front, so with the big 315s on the front, pump gas, it ran 9.90 seconds. If you think about it, the Super Stock, in the same kind of conditions, is five and a half tenths of a second [.55 seconds] slower than what the Demon was. So you look at that and they say, 'Wait a minute, I don't get it? It's a Demon Lite, isn't it?' No. Because the magic of the Demon is what you absolutely cannot duplicate, because it was the combination of the suspension and the trans brake, which you don't have with Super Stock. Super Stock was just enough to cure what was the issue with the Redeye, which was traction, not to ever compete with the Demon. The suspension is absolutely key to [the Demon]."

"We had a little bit more time [to develop the 807 hp rating on the Super Stock], a little bit more real-world durability testing; you know, because the Redeye engine, just like the Demon engine, has a different valvetrain in it than the Hellcat, so we knew it had a little bit more rpm capability in it. So it had done well, there was no additional durability testing required after we had all those cars on the road, to add another 100 rpm to it. And I know that sounds like no big deal, another 100 rpm, but it keeps pulling, so it allowed us to rate it higher."

Super Stock has the same engine as Demon and Redeye. The lift in power from Redeye (797 hp) to Super Stock (807 hp) is due to a 100 rpm increase in rev limit. The difference in airflow between the Demon and the Super Stock (due to a difference in hood scoops) is 20 cfm, which accounts for the 1 hp difference in the 91-octane rating. (1,130 cfm for Super Stock, 1,150 cfm for Dodge Demon).

The only way to get the Demon's trans brake, stronger axle shafts, and adaptive drag suspension, is to buy the Scat Pack 1320.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple quotes form the article there...,

So they claim to have ruin a 9.90 with a Demon on the 808 hp tune with street tires on the front. I think 10.2 is the best for a Redeye stock with just DRs?

So do you think they are slightly admitting maybe they did not have the Redeye tune just perfect and that's why some of us can (at times) have less-optimal shifting at WOT - occasional hiccups?

I thought the Redeye does have extra-spline axle shafts like Demon and 1320???

Last edited:

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
I said years ago the magic of the Demon was in the suspension

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Hell yeah I'm liking what they're doin

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Just add nitrous to the 1320 HAHAHA.......Kaboom

Sure it will last, but not much. Put a real piston in it from the factory and let us put a 300 plate on it, i'll be interested in a 1320 then.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
But the key is, will it sell. Folks genericly liked the Trackhawk too but not many liked it enough to pay what was asked. It's the value proposition, first, last, and always. And while you've got a good product (for the most part) you've got a disconnect somewhere in the chain if you cannot sell it without offering $8000 in manufacturer give back money. If that's what you're going to do, its just psychological games. We'll get more people in the door if they think they're saving $8000 than if we just lower the MSRP 8 grand. I don't like that thinking myself.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Pretty much a repeat but still good to hear.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
One thing I was going to include earlier but forgot, there is no mention of the air filter as being a restriction to horsepower, only airflow area. Wonder if the Demon 9.9 time referenced was with the crate filter or the one the comes standard and now on the on the Redeye/Super Stock?

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
But the key is, will it sell. Folks genericly liked the Trackhawk too but not many liked it enough to pay what was asked. It's the value proposition, first, last, and always. And while you've got a good product (for the most part) you've got a disconnect somewhere in the chain if you cannot sell it without offering $8000 in manufacturer give back money. If that's what you're going to do, its just psychological games. We'll get more people in the door if they think they're saving $8000 than if we just lower the MSRP 8 grand. I don't like that thinking myself.
Power Dollars extended again until 8/31.
I think that brings us to a full year of $10 per HP rebate. Kind of hard to turn that one off. However, how long has this platform been payed for? Its a $25k car loaded upwards of 100k. Its a cash cow and has been for 5 years!

Tim K just said 80% Redeye with pieces to put bigger sidewall tires from the factory so people can go race it without spending thousands of dollars doing the rear brake conversion. 3.09 gear standard and everything else RE. Im sure they will move some units but its not really anything different. And if you can't get PD out of the gate on this, people will just pick the RE.

I hope its a hit

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
we also rated the car on pump gas, and the car ran 9.90 seconds on pump gas without the skinnies on the front, so with the big 315s on the front, pump gas, it ran 9.90 seconds. If you think about it, the Super Stock, in the same kind of conditions, is five and a half tenths of a second [.55 seconds] slower than what the Demon was. So you look at that and they say, 'Wait a minute, I don't get it? It's a Demon Lite, isn't it?' No. Because the magic of the Demon is what you absolutely cannot duplicate, because it was the combination of the suspension and the trans brake, which you don't have with Super Stock. Super Stock was just enough to cure what was the issue with the Redeye, which was traction, not to ever compete with the Demon. The suspension is absolutely key to [the Demon]."

"We had a little bit more time [to develop the 807 hp rating on the Super Stock], a little bit more real-world durability testing; you know, because the Redeye engine, just like the Demon engine, has a different valvetrain in it than the Hellcat, so we knew it had a little bit more rpm capability in it. So it had done well, there was no additional durability testing required after we had all those cars on the road, to add another 100 rpm to it. And I know that sounds like no big deal, another 100 rpm, but it keeps pulling, so it allowed us to rate it higher."

Super Stock has the same engine as Demon and Redeye. The lift in power from Redeye (797 hp) to Super Stock (807 hp) is due to a 100 rpm increase in rev limit. The difference in airflow between the Demon and the Super Stock (due to a difference in hood scoops) is 20 cfm, which accounts for the 1 hp difference in the 91-octane rating. (1,130 cfm for Super Stock, 1,150 cfm for Dodge Demon).

The only way to get the Demon's trans brake, stronger axle shafts, and adaptive drag suspension, is to buy the Scat Pack 1320.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple quotes form the article there...,

So they claim to have ruin a 9.90 with a Demon on the 808 hp tune with street tires on the front. I think 10.2 is the best for a Redeye stock with just DRs?

So do you think they are slightly admitting maybe they did not have the Redeye tune just perfect and that's why some of us can (at times) have less-optimal shifting at WOT - occasional hiccups?

I thought the Redeye does have extra-spline axle shafts like Demon and 1320???
It does, Eric, the article wording is off a bit..