Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

The Hive Has Arrived: 2023 Dodge Hornet

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
They'd be better off bringing back the Neon. They were everywhere around here years ago when they were cheap. Of course the junkyards were also loaded with them years later but for a period of time they sold like hotcakes around here.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Neon swept the.market in its day with innovative styling.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
They'd be better off bringing back the Neon. They were everywhere around here years ago when they were cheap. Of course the junkyards were also loaded with them years later but for a period of time they sold like hotcakes around here.
Daughter drove 1 at college. Car ran perfect until she traded it at 125K.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
The Neon was the last successful car they had in this segment.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
The Neon was the last successful car they had in this segment.
For a period of time it was impossible to go anywhere around here without seeing one. I was amazed at how well they sold.

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
I had a 2004 Neon 5 speed and averaged 33 mpg with a best of 36. Not bad for 20 yr old technology. As much as people bag on those cars I have to admit it was one of the best I owned. Sold it for $2500 10 years later with 160,000 miles on it.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
And I heard from folks that the hot rod version was at least respectable for what it was.

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
And I heard from folks that the hot rod version was at least respectable for what it was.
Just don't call them a Neon! They preferred "SRT 4" and there were some crazy fast/quick ones running around for sure, I remember them taking great pleasure in racing/beating the SRT 8s of the day, particularly the 300, Magnum and Charger, but that seems like a million years ago (in actuality it was like 15 or so).

Lilschmied

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nowhereville
State
Non-US
Country
United States
I had a 2004 Neon 5 speed and averaged 33 mpg with a best of 36. Not bad for 20 yr old technology. As much as people bag on those cars I have to admit it was one of the best I owned. Sold it for $2500 10 years later with 160,000 miles on it.
I had an 02 5spd that I drove until the northeastern salt rotted out the body so badly it was almost a vette with all the tiger hair in the panels. The car was slow but really fun to drive like an overweight go-kart. It was the most reliable car i ever owned...

I crammed 2/3 of a college apartment in that thing. I don't think I'd get any more junk inside the new Hornet...

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Just don't call them a Neon! They preferred "SRT 4" and there were some crazy fast/quick ones running around for sure, I remember them taking great pleasure in racing/beating the SRT 8s of the day, particularly the 300, Magnum and Charger, but that seems like a million years ago (in actuality it was like 15 or so).
Yes. In Houston they were called skittles then. Never found one that could take the SC GTO but they could give lots of non-modded cars a surprise.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Yes. In Houston they were called skittles then. Never found one that could take the SC GTO but they could give lots of non-modded cars a surprise.
Bit of an unfair fight there..........

But bringing a better gun to the fight never bothered me......

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
I just sat in the GLH pilot version shown above at the Detroit NAIAS on Tuesday and if they were not advertising it as a "muscle" car I think it would fly, it was comfortable and my wife liked it and that is what it would work for...grocery getter, around town car or as we always called them, puddle jumper but NOT a muscle car! I would like to see the exact specs on the GLH package if it actually makes it into production. Put that I6 hurricane in it then it could be a muscle car:cool:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I just sat in the GLH pilot version shown above at the Detroit NAIAS on Tuesday and if they were not advertising it as a "muscle" car I think it would fly, it was comfortable and my wife liked it and that is what it would work for...grocery getter, around town car or as we always called them, puddle jumper but NOT a muscle car! I would like to see the exact specs on the GLH package if it actually makes it into production. Put that I6 hurricane in it then it could be a muscle car:cool:
I took it as you could buy parts from the catalog to build it. I don't think they are going to sell it that way

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
I took it as you could buy parts from the catalog to build it. I don't think they are going to sell it that way
I didn't think so but they should. Put the I6 in it and I'll buy one.
As far as the neon, I have a friend that still drives one every day. He has a F8 green 69 440 charger that is immaculate and a red 63 Fuel injected Corvette with 14,000 original miles and he dailies a neon:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: His wife drives a new Sahara Wrangler.
When they originally came out a couple the wife and I hung out with all the time bought one of the first ones in our town (he was a muscle car guy, drove a Monza w350 Chevy, 4spd) we laughed our asses off at him and with that plastic intake? WTF was that about? I'd never seen anything like it. Well even with all the crap we gave them, they loved it until someone stole it and ran it into a tree!!:cry:

By the way both of these neon where/are white, I know they made them in other colors but the ones I see always seem to be white, I am not a fan of white cars.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
We have a guy on this very forum that went from an SRT4 to a Demon. And added a Cuda to the stable since then.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
I didn't think so but they should. Put the I6 in it and I'll buy one.
As far as the neon, I have a friend that still drives one every day. He has a F8 green 69 440 charger that is immaculate and a red 63 Fuel injected Corvette with 14,000 original miles and he dailies a neon:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: His wife drives a new Sahara Wrangler.
When they originally came out a couple the wife and I hung out with all the time bought one of the first ones in our town (he was a muscle car guy, drove a Monza w350 Chevy, 4spd) we laughed our asses off at him and with that plastic intake? WTF was that about? I'd never seen anything like it. Well even with all the crap we gave them, they loved it until someone stole it and ran it into a tree!!:cry:

By the way both of these neon where/are white, I know they made them in other colors but the ones I see always seem to be white, I am not a fan of white cars.
Monza. Hadn't heard that word in a long time.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Bit of an unfair fight there..........

But bringing a better gun to the fight never bothered me......
I didn't go looking for them. But.some folks don't know their limitations. Or just wanted.to see the GTO run. Lol and the gto was a pig; theybwere probably half it weight.