Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Single Post Car Lift - any experience of knowledge about them?

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I just found out that my garage has a crack down the middle of the concrete and unable to install a 2 post lift.

Thinking about buying a single post list. Anyone have any experience, knowledge or recommendations <which company to purchase from>?

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
I would just go with a 4 post and sliding jacks if you wanted to unweight the suspension.

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I just found out that my garage has a crack down the middle of the concrete and unable to install a 2 post lift.

Thinking about buying a single post list. Anyone have any experience, knowledge or recommendations <which company to purchase from>?
if your concrete is 5 inch or more a few cracks shouldn`t stop from installing a 2 post.
are you talking about an air over hydraulic in ground piston style? I worked with those for years, as they wore out an started leaking oil just replaced with 2 post above ground. cracks or no cracks.

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
my hoist at home shows cracks.

Attachments

OP
Dman007

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #5

Deano

1000 Posts Club
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Roy
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WBHC
If the cracks are where the post have to go, you can have a good concrete guy cut out a 2 or 3 foot section and put in a reinforced pad. Your concrete may not be thick enough with out doing this anyway.
As for a single post hydraulic, have you priced them?
Just saw your last post, not the single post I thought you were talking about. After looking at it, not for me.
For what it is worth, I had a twin post and then had to change to a 4 post because my Chevy based motor home can't be lifted by a 2 post. The 4 post however obstructs access to so much under the vehicle. I prefer the 2 post for access to the entire underside of the car.

Last edited:
OP
Dman007

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #7
If the cracks are where the post have to go, you can have a good concrete guy cut out a 2 or 3 foot section and put in a reinforced pad. Your concrete may not be thick enough with out doing this anyway.
As for a single post hydraulic, have you priced them?
I just posted a link: see above

Deano

1000 Posts Club
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Roy
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WBHC
I did, and edited my post

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I just posted a link: see above
I agree with Deano..........if you only have 2" of concrete spend a bit of money an cut a nice area an pour a thicker pad, I think you would be much happier. I`m not sure I would want to even use that style on only 2 inches. ...............safety first!!!

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I did not even know that kind of lift existed.

I thought you were talking about a single hydraulic ram in the floor like my Grandfather's shop used to have. I hadn't seen one of those since I was wee-little...

Example:
1610142858853.png

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
I dont think I’d feel comfortable working under one of these. Lots of vid’s on You Tube

Depending on what type of work you’re doing you may fine a Quick Jack helpful.. I love mine

https://www.quickjack.com/car-lifts/bl-6000xlt/

OP
Dman007

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #12
OP
Dman007

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #13
I have a scissor lift and I can move it around. The weight of the car is distributed over a larger area if you are concerned about the concrete supporting the car
can you please provide a link to your scissor lift?

OP
Dman007

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #14

Deano

1000 Posts Club
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Roy
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WBHC
A scissor lift or quick lift has the same disadvantages as a 4 post concerning access under the vehicle and does not lift high enough to stand up under the car.
Another possible disadvantage is the runways lifting the vehicle may press on parts of the car that should not be pressed against.
I went through all of this comparing one to the other, the advantages and disadvantages, before making a decision to go with a 2 post. This is, of course depending on having sufficient truss height to raise the vehicle and being able to place the 2 post lift pads in the correct postion under the car.
One other thing to consider. When I was much younger I could get under a car on a creeper, and did, a lot. Now, I have a very hard time getting up from down under, being able to stand up under the vehicle has become a necessity.
Bottom line, your car, your money.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I have a scissor lift and I can move it around. The weight of the car is distributed over a larger area if you are concerned about the concrete supporting the car
I have a permanent single post cantilever lift ...(drive on ramps...) don't remember the mfgr. off hand...It needed a minimum 5"concrete base...and it was rather pricey...

OP
Dman007

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #17
Really great information guys. I love getting tons of data to pour through. Thank you!!

greasy

Member ID
Reactions
City
HOFFMAN ESTATES
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat

A crack in your concrete does not prevent you from anchoring into it. In fact the anchors these days are designed/tested for use in cracked concrete. While the concrete substrate does lose some strength, I think you'll find that the load values are more than acceptable. The only situation I would avoid entirely is if the spot you will be anchoring to is cracked to the point where it is starting to crumble. My recommendation is to use the DEWALT Screw-Bolt+ Anchor. You do not have to worry about edge distance with this anchor is it is not a wedge type anchor and it is approved for cracked concrete by the latest ICC building codes.

Your garage slab is a minimum of 4" thick by code, reinforced by rebar or at minimum reinforced by wire mesh, and is 2,500 psi at minimum. Given those conditions if you use a 3/4" diameter x 2-1/2" long Screw-Bolt+ you'll have 1,150 lbs load capacity in tension from a single bolt, meaning pulling out directly up from direction it was installed. This is the force we are most concerned about here, the shear load is much higher but also not as relevant. There are 4 anchor points per post probably, so at minimum using the 3/4" diameter x 2-1/2" long Screw-Bolt+ you will have a load capacity of over 6,000 lbs at one post. I personally would use the 3/4" diameter x 4-1/4" long Screw-Bolt+ if you can.

You might wonder how I know this and why this is valid. I have worked in the construction industry for almost 15 years selling these products, more specifically now for DEWALT.

http://anchors.dewalt.com/anchors/p...rs/screw-boltplus/screw-boltplus_hex_head.php

http://anchors.dewalt.com/anchors/_documents/uploads/dw_screwbolt_e_techpage.pdf?1610289085

1610290474685.png

Last edited:

greasy

Member ID
Reactions
City
HOFFMAN ESTATES
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
The load values I posted above are "Allowable" which means they have a built in safety factor for them and in uncracked concrete. If you click on the lick with load tables there are "Ultimate" load values which are much higher. The values are basically the upper limits of failure with no safety factor involved. For reference the ultimate load capacity given the same conditions of 3/4" diameter x 2-1/2" long Screw-Bolt+ is over 24,000 lbs.

I would avoid drilling/installing the anchors directly into the path of a crack just to be clear, but a crack in your garage shouldn't be a huge deal.

OP
Dman007

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #20
A crack in your concrete does not prevent you from anchoring into it. In fact the anchors these days are designed/tested for use in cracked concrete. While the concrete substrate does lose some strength, I think you'll find that the load values are more than acceptable. The only situation I would avoid entirely is if the spot you will be anchoring to is cracked to the point where it is starting to crumble. My recommendation is to use the DEWALT Screw-Bolt+ Anchor. You do not have to worry about edge distance with this anchor is it is not a wedge type anchor and it is approved for cracked concrete by the latest ICC building codes.

Your garage slab is a minimum of 4" thick by code, reinforced by rebar or at minimum reinforced by wire mesh, and is 2,500 psi at minimum. Given those conditions if you use a 3/4" diameter x 2-1/2" long Screw-Bolt+ you'll have 1,150 lbs load capacity in tension from a single bolt, meaning pulling out directly up from direction it was installed. This is the force we are most concerned about here, the shear load is much higher but also not as relevant. There are 4 anchor points per post probably, so at minimum using the 3/4" diameter x 2-1/2" long Screw-Bolt+ you will have a load capacity of over 6,000 lbs at one post. I personally would use the 3/4" diameter x 4-1/4" long Screw-Bolt+ if you can.

You might wonder how I know this and why this is valid. I have worked in the construction industry for almost 15 years selling these products, more specifically now for DEWALT.

http://anchors.dewalt.com/anchors/p...rs/screw-boltplus/screw-boltplus_hex_head.php

http://anchors.dewalt.com/anchors/_documents/uploads/dw_screwbolt_e_techpage.pdf?1610289085

View attachment 35369
That is why I love this dang forum!! @greasy killed it. Thank you brother!!! I will take some pictures of the concrete and post them.

Btw, my house is 22 years old and HOPE to pray I have 4" concreate. But we will drill and verify today.