Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Rock Guards and Coatings

Designflaw

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sadieville
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 WB M6 Cat
I ceramiced 5 year exterior, glass, interior, wheels, added ZL1 deluxe guards, Actually getting a rock chip repaired and then filming half front and full flares. Not sure what I'm going to do about my hood other than the ceramic.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hayabusa

HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lunatic Fringe
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 WB Redeye, Sublime
Cooldawg, Congrats!!!

Love me some F8! Was looking for one with orange calipers and stripes or satin hood...couldn't find one...stumbled on the Sublime and loveded she.

The F8 sparkles great! Check out the paint on this Challenger.

OP
cooldawg

cooldawg

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Angola
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
RAM
Thread Starter #23
Cooldawg, Congrats!!!

Love me some F8! Was looking for one with orange calipers and stripes or satin hood...couldn't find one...stumbled on the Sublime and loveded she.

The F8 sparkles great! Check out the paint on this Challenger.

Thanks. I’m thrilled.
The car did have a couple issues. The short stripes under the Front facia had a couple air bubbles and there was a barely noticeable ‘ding’ on the roof half way between sunroof and roof junction. The clear was good- no scratch or mark so didn’t appear to happen in transit. But the dealer called their hail damage guy- and he was able to pull it out, easily. Aside from those issues, car arrived in great condition. Nearly flawless. What a difference doing business with a top-notch, award winning dealer (O’Daniel in Ft. Wayne)
That’s cooldawg jr in pass seat. He ‘over’ Black Camaros now. She’s a pretty beast. Lots of compliments on the combo with sepia leather. D7E400B6-2802-45A1-8608-85948B4AFE89.jpeg 02862D62-8FA3-4645-8078-47F349291F4A.jpeg 2EB6AC85-798D-4C53-83A3-790A0B45AE5C.jpeg CA10F7DA-FE75-4524-BC56-13553DAA8360.jpeg C6E75218-1003-442C-8B71-1ECE399727FB.jpeg

OP
cooldawg

cooldawg

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Angola
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
RAM
Thread Starter #24
Anyone with WB & AS tires just running film...? I test drove a ZL1 last year that had summer rubber. It was disturbing how much debris those things picked up- sandblasting came to mind. Didn’t notice anything similar when I took the hellcat around the block.

I’m leaning going ‘all the way’ since I’m keeping the car long term. Swaims with film in high impact area and ceramic over the top. Seems like overkill, but the investment would probably justify it.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
The interior color goes really well with the green! I have AS tires...which still pick up plenty of crap and sling it around....almost as bad as summer tires, but less traction. I already installed rock guards and will be having PPF installed in the next couple weeks. To me, ceramic is for looks more than any real protection. I'll stick to my Turtle Wax Ice....

OP
cooldawg

cooldawg

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Angola
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
RAM
Thread Starter #26
The interior color goes really well with the green! I have AS tires...which still pick up plenty of crap and sling it around....almost as bad as summer tires, but less traction. I already installed rock guards and will be having PPF installed in the next couple weeks. To me, ceramic is for looks more than any real protection. I'll stick to my Turtle Wax Ice....
Thanks, just wondered if the tires made a significant difference.

Tempted to try the ZL1 guards first since they don’t involve drilling. I think the Swaims look fine as well... if I want more coverage, swap them out and sell the Z’s here. I intend to enjoy this car. That was a primary reason for swapping my classic for something modern/ more reliable.

As to the ceramic, I’m hoping it reduces need to wash and eliminates the need for waxing. Also figured perfect solution for protecting the stripes. While expensive, seems like $$ involved are reasonable given the amount of touch labor. I’m careful, but regardless of how clean I keep my rags (used new microfiber to remove wax on my truck) I get surface abrasions in the clear coat.

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Thanks. I’m thrilled.
The car did have a couple issues. The short stripes under the Front facia had a couple air bubbles and there was a barely noticeable ‘ding’ on the roof half way between sunroof and roof junction. The clear was good- no scratch or mark so didn’t appear to happen in transit. But the dealer called their hail damage guy- and he was able to pull it out, easily. Aside from those issues, car arrived in great condition. Nearly flawless. What a difference doing business with a top-notch, award winning dealer (O’Daniel in Ft. Wayne)
That’s cooldawg jr in pass seat. He ‘over’ Black Camaros now. She’s a pretty beast. Lots of compliments on the combo with sepia leather. View attachment 19520 View attachment 19521 View attachment 19522 View attachment 19523 View attachment 19524
Congratulations!! I agree, the colours look great together. Enjoy your new toy!

VARedEye

Member ID
Reactions
City
Martinsburg
State
WV
Country
United States
Vehicle
Redeye
Here are a few pics of the rock guards and side skirts installed. I orgionaly installed them to help prevent rock chips and was on the fence with the looks but there starting to grow on me.
7EAE7A7D-0E25-4862-9DFD-69DD5B06E786.jpeg 2B0F76AB-EE80-44C0-8611-6610891564E3.jpeg

OP
cooldawg

cooldawg

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Angola
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
RAM
Thread Starter #29
Here are a few pics of the rock guards and side skirts installed. I orgionaly installed them to help prevent rock chips and was on the fence with the looks but there starting to grow on me.
View attachment 19688 View attachment 19689
Very nice! They blend perfectly on a black car. Skirts sort of carry the line on the splitter. Guards and skirts are ZL1, correct?

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
Thanks. I’m thrilled.
That’s cooldawg jr in pass seat. He ‘over’ Black Camaros now. She’s a pretty beast. Lots of compliments on the combo with sepia leather. View attachment 19520 View attachment 19521 View attachment 19522 View attachment 19523 View attachment 19524
One of my favorite colors and the stripes... (y) Beautiful and congrats my friend!

OP
cooldawg

cooldawg

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Angola
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
RAM
Thread Starter #31
Designflaw- Yellow is a great color. Would’ve been a tough tough decision if it was available... I drove a yellow 70’ Z28 back in the day... Best friend had an F8 dart. Always had a thing for green mopars.

TK, redline- thanks guys.

Last edited:

VARedEye

Member ID
Reactions
City
Martinsburg
State
WV
Country
United States
Vehicle
Redeye
Very nice! They blend perfectly on a black car. Skirts sort of carry the line on the splitter. Guards and skirts are ZL1, correct?
Rock guards are Swaims and the side skirts are ZL1

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
So ZL-1’s or Swaim? What’s the consensus? I have the ZL-1’s sitting here in the box waiting for the new car but now I’m reading Swaims may be the way to go. Although it doesn't really matter which one I choose - it will always be wrong.
Reminds me of my love life [?|]

Nvrenuf

Member ID
Reactions
City
Cookeville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I have the Swaim ones. Had the dealer install them before I picked the car up. Drove it straight from the dealer to Nashville to have CQuartz finest applied.

I personally decided against the film. It won't prevent everything and for the cost I can almost have the car repainted when the chips get on my nerves too bad.

OP
cooldawg

cooldawg

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Angola
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
RAM
Thread Starter #35
So ZL-1’s or Swaim? What’s the consensus? I have the ZL-1’s sitting here in the box waiting for the new car but now I’m reading Swaims may be the way to go. Although it doesn't really matter which one I choose - it will always be wrong.
Reminds me of my love life [?|]
I’m leaning Swaims. 1) The two look similar 2) if they look similar, might as well go with the additional coverage- the guard that covers the width of the tire completely 3) Having to drill the tiny holes into plastic doesn’t bother me... And don’t like clips.
1593996180798.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
cooldawg

cooldawg

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Angola
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
RAM
Thread Starter #36
Installed the swaim guards today. I’d prefer none at all, but they blend in very nicely and do provide good coverage. Don’t think they’ll make much difference for front of the rear flairs, however. Hope I’m wrong...

My film/ detail guy looked it over afterword. He suggested to do all flairs, header/ bumper; lower rockers ( about 6” since I have the guards), pillars, mirrors, and a 20” or so of hood. Also a strip above windshield. ‘Gold package’ (Lifetime guarantee) ceramic and film will be about $2500. Work will start Monday :p

Jeez, not a lot of places/ space to use a floor jack on these beasts!

Attachments

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
Installed the swaim guards today. I’d prefer none at all, but they blend in very nicely and do provide good coverage. Don’t think they’ll make much difference for front of the rear flairs, however. Hope I’m wrong...

My film/ detail guy looked it over afterword. He suggested to do all flairs, header/ bumper; lower rockers ( about 6” since I have the guards), pillars, mirrors, and a 20” or so of hood. Also a strip above windshield. ‘Gold package’ (Lifetime guarantee) ceramic and film will be about $2500. Work will start Monday :p

Good choice 👍

Mopar gummy

U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
ESTERO
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
18 Charger Hellcat
All brand rock guards are similar, I went JLT, since they were the most cost effective. I had the ZL1 on my SRT. They install with the hardware that comes on the car

VARedEye

Member ID
Reactions
City
Martinsburg
State
WV
Country
United States
Vehicle
Redeye

Why is the yellow protector still on your car?