Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Really scared myself in the Hellcat. Time to move on?

04Ram2500Hemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Western
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Ram TRX
So on a wide open road the other day I found myself going faster than I should of, and it has me rattled. A car this fast can be fun, but if something had gone wrong (deer stepping out onto the road or a car pulling out) shit could have gone bad really fast. I took the car out again today, and before I even got to highway speed I turned around and just cruised through town. With a CDL I wonder if I’m tempting fate with this car, and if I should let it go? Has anybody else gone through this? I really could use some words of wisdom.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Could just be old age creeping in lol. I wouldnt let one incident rattle me too badly. If this is a recurring theme? Well then maybe sit down and have a think on it.
I had this happen yrs ago on my motorcycle. I had just started racing competitively at the track. One day I found myself getting squirrely trying to slow my street bike down coming off the highway and it got a little hairy. Really made me think, and sweat. Sold the street bike and focused on my racing at the track. Safer way to feel the thrill.
Not telling you to sell the car but if this happens a lot and you get rattled frequently, cut the car loose and find something else that floats your boat.

Last edited:

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
So on a wide open road the other day I found myself going faster than I should of, and it has me rattled. A car this fast can be fun, but if something had gone wrong (deer stepping out onto the road or a car pulling out) shit could have gone bad really fast. I took the car out again today, and before I even got to highway speed I turned around and just cruised through town. With a CDL I wonder if I’m tempting fate with this car, and if I should let it go? Has anybody else gone through this? I really could use some words of wisdom.
The CDL is the big issue...with todays regulations..and insurance ramifications ...you realize you loose that CDL...your sellin pork chops door to door for a livin...I would never get rid of my car...but..in your case..a lots at stake..

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
Every day could be your last. I'll trade my 392 for your HC whenever you're ready. Just say the word.

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
I bought my Scat when I was still working and a CDL is a condition of employment so I was fairly cautious at that time.
I think in Oregon it's 3 moving violations and you have to sit in the thinking chair for awhile.
I would think that there are ways around that. Diversion etc.
However, DUII and wreckless offenses they are not so understanding about.
A Journeyman Lineman without a CDL is not in big demand.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I guess I don't really understand the fear ? You can do what you described in almost any car out there with some nads under the hood.
My wife's Infiniti Q50 Red Sport is very smooth & quiet and that turbo V6 can have you way past the legal limit in a flash just cruising along!

As for the deer or car situation - that can happen to anyone at any time - you just have to stay alert.

There is an interesting feature built into the Navi on these Cats that you might want to use & that's the speed alert function that can alert you when you exceed a preset (by you) speed.

Last edited:
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chester Springs
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Live once...rip it and enjoy your run.

Ash to Ash, Dust to Dust.

God Speed :)

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Only you know you, and how you respond to temptation and risktaking. So only you can decide what you should do to protect your life and career. I'm not sure I can offer wisdom, but here are some thoughts.
As MikeD1 said, you can find yourself in the same risky spot with most modern cars with a decent motor. The difference it seems to me is that these crazy HCs do it so easily and constantly tempt you to go there. Also, with the power available, even at legal speeds, one can get in plenty of trouble if used carelessly.
But so much of the fun in the HCs is there to enjoy well below jail speeds and without overly risking life and limb. The HCs are a joy to experience getting up to speed, or moving up and down speeds you do every day driving anything. It just happens much faster, and accompanied by the fantastic HC sounds and sensations. There are sane situations to push the limits a bit and those are so fun too, but I pick my moments carefully for the reasons you state. If you really want to test the limits, there is always the track.
I have an after-market heads up display that allows one to set audible alerts for speeds you set. I have hit that number, and then the sane brain tells me to back off. It helps. So for me, I love my HC for what it is and can do without killing me or anyone else. I will have one in my garage as long as I can.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
CDL w/Hazmat

Dusterhoff Stg 4 Charger

Full Send. God will take me when he's ready and life is too short to care.

Yoguard

Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Rochester
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat
At 18 & just out of HS, I got a new 67 Chevelle SS 396 bench seat 4spd, 373 gears. Too dumb to realize I was too immature to handle this powerful car. The same w/e I made my 1st payment, I totaled the car doing 125mph while racing a vette and then trying to outrun a cop. At a curve in the rd I lost control and hit a tree. Hit so hard, I pulled the seat belt from the floor. God was with me that night, as I only got a fractured wrist and 3 stitches on my lip. In the 52 yrs since, I have never street raced again. When I got the bug again, a friend and I built a 67 Nova to race at the trk. Became a cop after I got out of military and would often run into the cop that chased me, used to call me "Crash." He said he could never figure out why I didn't slow down, as he said I was so far ahead he couldn't see my tail lights. I knew why, Panic and the inability to handle that power. Sorry so long, but if you doubt yourself, trade it in. Many cars out there that are more civilized and still are fun to drive. God bless.... :unsure:

Last edited:

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
Usually when we do something stupid we realize we were lucky, learn from it and move on. If it still has you rattled maybe there is an underlying issue that is manifesting itself as fear of something happening in the car? Nothing wrong with sitting down with a therapist and figuring out whats up.

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
I get it. CDL-A here since 2007. When your DL is tied into your income, you must be cautious. It's only prudent. That's why I am very choosy when I take out one of my go-fasts for that spirited run.

Funny thing for me as I've never gotten a violation in the Big trk. Nada. My last ticket was July 2004 departing Daytona after the Pepsi 400 in the family truckster at the time, the wife's 2000 Dodge Intrepid.

Now that's embarrassing. A speeding ticket in the slowest of all the cars I owned at the time. 😂

NoCoHC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Numerous
Take your Hellcat to the track?

WhipCat

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Take it to the dang track man!!!

that’s how I stopped myself from being in jail without a license or dead.
I was on the street getting crazy. So I started going to the 1/4 mile and doing 1/2 miles races.

it’s allot of fun and it really settles you down on the road.

do not get rid of your car. Imagine how I feel, I drove the street with 1000 whp!!

Last edited:

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Good posting and being sincere is what makes this forum different from most snd your subconscious is telling you it’s time to move on. And your a truck guy and I would pickup a new truck which many new trucks are just bad ass these days. The TRX is coming and now is the time to capitalize on selling your Hellcat with the warm weather on our door step. If the TRX comes available this fall then selling your Hellcat at that time of the year Is the worst time. It’s time to SELL the CAT. And damn you now have me on the edge of picking up a Tremor [smackbum]

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Take your Hellcat to the track?
I've been making this case often for people who buy high/over-powered cars: too much car, not enough talent. Most people let pride and poor judgment drive their decision to do/not do something about it.

Take an HPDE, define your limitations, and improve upon them. The street is not the place to learn how to drive at the limit. The driver mod starts (responsibly) on the track with a teacher. This is a massive investment in self, don't take the loss on the car.

NoCoHC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Numerous
I’ve done a fair amount of autocross, time attack, and road course lapping in a Hellcat. They aren’t the most nimble car out there but the horsepower is fun and it’s a relatively safe way to push your limits.

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
1583760306156.jpeg 1583760306156.jpeg

Tannehill

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
New castle
State
DE
Country
United States
An interesting theory I'll throw out considering your recent thread:

Your subconscious is finding excuses to get rid of the Hellcat and Power Wagon for a new truck.......

Usmc341

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Henderson
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I had almost the exact experience. Had my Refeye for a year (my third 'Cat). As time went on I felt myself enjoying it less and less because of the "fear factor." Almost put it into the wall twice giving it 3/4 throttle getting onto a freeway ramp. I've been driving high powered cars for almost 50 years, and I wasn't doing anything stupid just trying to get on the freeway. Spent $700 on tires... did not help.

Don't get me wrong Hellcat's an awesome vehicle for what it's designed for. Just not for me anymore.

Last edited: