Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Rare Shelby Cobra

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Saw this at a small out of the way car show yesterday. One of 5 polished aluminum Shelby Cobra’s. Built 427 claiming 535 HP and only weighs 2,450 lbs! Pretty cool! 4D4DD3BE-C0B1-479A-8A61-48474FAA8D28.jpeg

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Saw this at a small out of the way car show yesterday. One of 5 polished aluminum Shelby Cobra’s. Built 427 claiming 535 HP and only weighs 2,450 lbs! Pretty cool! View attachment 4978
Yeah well, other than the polished body that's pretty much how the 427's came out of the factory. Lol. Don't believe factory H.P #'s. Some buyers never made it around the block from dealer. Definitely a cool piece.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Always loved the 427 ACs. I remember seeing them for sale in the Road and Track classifieds for around $6000 in 1969. A lot of money in those days, but could have been a great investment.

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Beautiful.
Always liked the look!

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Always loved the 427 ACs. I remember seeing them for sale in the Road and Track classifieds for around $6000 in 1969. A lot of money in those days, but could have been a great investment.
Hindsight is always 20-20.:cool:
Well, unless you have other issues.:unsure:

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hindsight is always 20-20.:cool:
Well, unless you have other issues.:unsure:
Well, I was still in high school and 6 grand was close to new Cadillac territory. I was making $1.75 an hour after school. I drove a $300 dollar ’65 Corvair that I had to spend another $150 on to put a clutch, bondo, paint, shocks, ball joints and several other items to make it streetable. So the Cobra was out of the question. :)
A lot of my friends dads were auto company execs so they got new muscle cars. I was always the passenger on Woodward Ave. :(

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Funny thing was that Shelby was suing the Replica Cobra manufactures for imitating the original. Then somebody wised the grumpy old man up and told him that he could make replicas and call them real Cobras and make a s-load of money. The highest end of the replicas were made by Kirkum. They are the ones who produced the beautiful aluminum bodies when everybody else was doing fiberglass (including the “new” Shelby’s). Then Shelby started purchasing the aluminum body’s from them and now you can buy a “real” (continuation series) Shelby Cobra. That’s what you’re looking at in the picture. Personally... I think polishing the body like that is ugly as hell. Kirkum was selling theirs with a brushed finish that was much better looking than that. Here’s a picture of my lowly fiberglass version. 5AE59FCD-0142-4F6D-AA7D-771B34175347.jpeg D106EF4D-A239-49B2-9F84-82AF4521E0B1.jpeg

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Funny thing was that Shelby was suing the Replica Cobra manufactures for imitating the original. Then somebody wised the grumpy old man up and told him that he could make replicas and call them real Cobras and make a s-load of money. The highest end of the replicas were made by Kirkum. They are the ones who produced the beautiful aluminum bodies when everybody else was doing fiberglass (including the “new” Shelby’s). Then Shelby started purchasing the aluminum body’s from them and now you can buy a “real” (continuation series) Shelby Cobra. That’s what you’re looking at in the picture. Personally... I think polishing the body like that is ugly as hell. Kirkum was selling theirs with a brushed finish that was much better looking than that. Here’s a picture of my lowly fiberglass version. View attachment 4991 View attachment 4992
Beautiful car!

2fast4u

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
I agree, Beautiful...growing up, this was always my dream car. After I heard 0 to 60 and back to 0 in less than 6 sec, I was hooked!

OP
SilverBillet

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Thread Starter #10
I always heard 0-100 and back to 0 in 11 seconds.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Well, I was still in high school and 6 grand was close to new Cadillac territory. I was making $1.75 an hour after school. I drove a $300 dollar ’65 Corvair that I had to spend another $150 on to put a clutch, bondo, paint, shocks, ball joints and several other items to make it streetable. So the Cobra was out of the question. :)
A lot of my friends dads were auto company execs so they got new muscle cars. I was always the passenger on Woodward Ave. :(
My lot in life as well, did a lot of Woodward crusing in other ppls fast cars .................... #metoo-couldntaffordmusclecar

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Funny thing was that Shelby was suing the Replica Cobra manufactures for imitating the original. Then somebody wised the grumpy old man up and told him that he could make replicas and call them real Cobras and make a s-load of money. The highest end of the replicas were made by Kirkum. They are the ones who produced the beautiful aluminum bodies when everybody else was doing fiberglass (including the “new” Shelby’s). Then Shelby started purchasing the aluminum body’s from them and now you can buy a “real” (continuation series) Shelby Cobra. That’s what you’re looking at in the picture. Personally... I think polishing the body like that is ugly as hell. Kirkum was selling theirs with a brushed finish that was much better looking than that. Here’s a picture of my lowly fiberglass version. View attachment 4991 View attachment 4992
People use "timeless" way too much, but that car truly is. Beautiful in blue/white more than any other color IMO; more than red, black, white, polished or brushed aluminum. Very nice! Mid sixties Jag XKE is to me THE most beautiful car ever made (just based on looks nothing else, they def had drawbacks) but these are right there and again, timeless.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
People use "timeless" way too much, but that car truly is. Beautiful in blue/white more than any other color IMO; more than red, black, white, polished or brushed aluminum. Very nice! Mid sixties Jag XKE is to me THE most beautiful car ever made (just based on looks nothing else, they def had drawbacks) but these are right there and again, timeless.
Agree about the Jag for sheer beauty. (Hood goes on forever.) Coupe with headlight covers, FTW.