Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Muscle Cars at the Strip… 🫣

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Small Tire classes (no wheelie bars allowed). The conversation about the new suspension going into my car and how important it is to keep the nose down (reason we’re changing it) suddenly became chillingly obvious at MATS yesterday. 1/8 mile Small Tire car took flight. Watching this stuff on Utube and seeing it in person are two different things. Thankfully the car came down on its wheels and stayed there. One in a million shot watching it. The driver walked away. IMG_6290.jpeg IMG_6289.jpeg

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #2
That single picture doesn’t even come close to what this looked at 180 mph. The thing did a pirouette 20 ft in the car and came down nose first. I’m sure video will pop up online.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Small Tire classes (no wheelie bars allowed). The conversation about the new suspension going into my car and how important it is to keep the nose down (reason we’re changing it) suddenly became chillingly obvious at MATS yesterday. 1/8 mile Small Tire car took flight. Watching this stuff on Utube and seeing it in person are two different things. Thankfully the car came down on its wheels and stayed there. One in a million shot watching it. The driver walked away. View attachment 132931 View attachment 132932
My 1st thought looking at car it was James and see his name on the window. Glad to hear he is ok

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #4
😵‍💫 IMG_6291.jpeg IMG_6292.jpeg IMG_6293.jpeg IMG_6294.jpeg IMG_6295.jpeg IMG_6297.jpeg

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Brandon James has been in at least 2 really bad wrecks. He had a ‘65 Mustang (if I recall correctly) which he wrecked during Fastest Car in America season 2, maybe? He won Season 1, went undefeated.
That blower car is his street car and his NPK car I think. Damn shame.

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
TBH thing looks pretty dam good after all that I mean most of the car is still intact freaking miracle!

Small Tire classes (no wheelie bars allowed). The conversation about the new suspension going into my car and how important it is to keep the nose down (reason we’re changing it) suddenly became chillingly obvious at MATS yesterday. 1/8 mile Small Tire car took flight. Watching this stuff on Utube and seeing it in person are two different things. Thankfully the car came down on its wheels and stayed there. One in a million shot watching it. The driver walked away. View attachment 132931 View attachment 132932

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #7
I suspect this happened because the suspension on this car is setup for typical NPK conditions. Rear of the car is real low and the front has long travel shocks. Big squat on launch and goes down track with the front up. That may be the way to get it done on a low prep surface but they sprayed the track right before the small tire class. The underside of the car was exposed to a lot of air. Another ‘60’s Nova (ended up wining the class) was next up in that lane. He saw this happen from the water box. After the clean-up delay…. he was up. Same low rear setup on this one too. Same result going down track. The front end started to lift and he pulled the plug before it took off. Probably because he saw what just happened. This is happening a lot now in these super fast small tire classes. No wheelie bars allowed. The small tire and no bars is supposed to level the playing field so the mega dollar/mega power guys don’t dominate. Guess what…. They’re never going to not dominate. I think some of what we’re seeing is cars that are built from the ground up to run no prep, and it’s a problem when they go to a prepped track.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat

I saw this and was like damn...

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
One word… WOW

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
I saw this in person. He lifted but it did not get it back.......One of the most amazing things I have seen in person. Although I have seen 3 spectators/crew get killed over the years. All were long ago...........And changes have been made to prevent.

Last edited: