Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Engine build opinions

white1

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Prairieville
State
LA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 hellcat charger widebody
My car is my daily and my shop/race car
I don’t want to sacrifice drivability too much as it’s what we take on long trips.

if you didn’t see my “big OOF” post I blew my motor at TX2K22

I have a spare bare BGE block

I’m up in the air between a 411 or 422 stroker or staying stock displacement.
Either way will be forged rods and pistons, cam and most likely head work.
I would prefer to stay stock converter.
I have AAD suspension, demon killer springs and Viking shocks and still can’t leav in everything even leaving in 2nd gear (might can with some tire pressure and/or shock settings) so I’m concerned the stroker will just complicate traction.
im fine spinning the atock displacement engine to mid 7k rpm but I’m not sure if I’m comfortable spinning a stroker over 7k ish

others opinions? Is it just a mind thing about strikers and higher rpm?
Also thinking about getting rid of the redeye blower and going to a fully ported hellcat blower and adding some boost. Blower thing is only a thought at this time

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I like the 411 Cid kit .. you can keep the piston oil squirters , still a decent rod ratio with the 6.200 rod .. not much grinding .

Sent from my Armor 8 Pro using Tapatalk

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
My car is my daily and my shop/race car
I don’t want to sacrifice drivability too much as it’s what we take on long trips.

if you didn’t see my “big OOF” post I blew my motor at TX2K22

I have a spare bare BGE block

I’m up in the air between a 411 or 422 stroker or staying stock displacement.
Either way will be forged rods and pistons, cam and most likely head work.
I would prefer to stay stock converter.
I have AAD suspension, demon killer springs and Viking shocks and still can’t leav in everything even leaving in 2nd gear (might can with some tire pressure and/or shock settings) so I’m concerned the stroker will just complicate traction.
im fine spinning the atock displacement engine to mid 7k rpm but I’m not sure if I’m comfortable spinning a stroker over 7k ish

others opinions? Is it just a mind thing about strikers and higher rpm?
Also thinking about getting rid of the redeye blower and going to a fully ported hellcat blower and adding some boost. Blower thing is only a thought at this time
Is it just a mind thing about strikers and higher rpm?
[screwy]It’s not a mind thing…strokers are not revved the same. You better start looking for another backup short block!

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
If you are worried about converter for drivability reasons, the redeye converter is nicer and the route I’d consider going.
As long as you spend the time dialing in the tune I don’t see displacement changing drivability to bad.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
If you are worried about converter for drivability reasons, the redeye converter is nicer and the route I’d consider going.
As long as you spend the time dialing in the tune I don’t see displacement changing drivability to bad.
He’s wondering about revving a stroker over 7,000 rpm’s!

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
He’s wondering about revving a stroker over 7,000 rpm’s!
Depending on stroke and quality of parts 7000rpms is doable.. But the longer the stroke the less rpms it should be revved. Also light weight rotation assembly goes a long way for revving and durability too . But cost more.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Also the IHI supercharger will also limit the rpms of the engine .. the smaller the upper the less rpms you should spin the engine . The 10% lower will shorten that even more in combination with the upper ..

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
1647909475344.png

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I think the 411 would be a excellent choice and the one I would make over staying with the stock displacement. Increasing displacement and a cam to go with it… you will benefit from the Demon/Redeye converter. I would not spend a penny on the OE superchargers. The new 3.0 Whipple is superior and will out perform the stock superchargers no matter what you do to them. Example…. At the shop this week…. Stock 6.2 Hellcat motor (including full exhaust). Fuel mods for E85 and one of the new street 3.0 Whipples. That’s it! 1035 whp on a safe tune. Took it to the MATS Las Vegas event and ran a tire spinning 9.5 - 150mph at 3000+ da. You can’t do that on a 2.4/2.7 no matter what you do to it. 😎

Snowman

Member ID
Reactions
City
Cranberry Twp
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Example…. At the shop this week…. Stock 6.2 Hellcat motor (including full exhaust). Fuel mods for E85 and one of the new street 3.0 Whipples. That’s it! 1035 whp on a safe tune. Took it to the MATS Las Vegas event and ran a tire spinning 9.5 - 150mph at 3000+ da. You can’t do that on a 2.4/2.7 no matter what you do to it. 😎
Hot damn! After 54 weeks of waiting, I’m now down to 96 more hours. I’ve been dying to hear actual 3.0 results, and this is the first I’ve heard.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I think the 411 would be a excellent choice and the one I would make over staying with the stock displacement. Increasing displacement and a cam to go with it… you will benefit from the Demon/Redeye converter. I would not spend a penny on the OE superchargers. The new 3.0 Whipple is superior and will out perform the stock superchargers no matter what you do to them. Example…. At the shop this week…. Stock 6.2 Hellcat motor (including full exhaust). Fuel mods for E85 and one of the new street 3.0 Whipples. That’s it! 1035 whp on a safe tune. Took it to the MATS Las Vegas event and ran a tire spinning 9.5 - 150mph at 3000+ da. You can’t do that on a 2.4/2.7 no matter what you do to it.
I do agree the new Whipple is a much better unit ..
But don't say those times can't be done on a 2.7l IHI ... It is possible.... If you know the right person

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
As far as rpm goes….. my current 426 is shifted at 7000 rpm. Builder said it’s safe to 7500 without worry. I have a billet crank, forged rods and billet pistons so the strength to do that is there, but it revs so fast it makes the stocker feel like a slug. We’re building a new Dart block based stroker to make some real serious power and the 411 displacement with that rod ratio is looking like the choice. I’m wanting to make it a 413 due to the cool historical factor with that 😎.

Last edited:

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
As far as rpm goes….. my current 426 is shifted at 7000 rpm. Builder said it’s safe to 7500 without worry. I have a billet crank, forged rods and billet pistons so the strength to do that is there to do that but it revs so fast it makes the stocker feel like a slug. We’re building a new Dart block based stroker to make some real serious power and the 411 displacement with that rod ratio is looking like the choice. I’m wanting to make it a 413 due to the cool historical factor with that .
Like i said earlier ... Good parts go a long way ....

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
As far as rpm goes….. my current 426 is shifted at 7000 rpm. Builder said it’s safe to 7500 without worry. I have a billet crank, forged rods and billet pistons so the strength to do that is there to do that but it revs so fast it makes the stocker feel like a slug. We’re building a new Dart block based stroker to make some real serious power and the 411 displacement with that rod ratio is looking like the choice. I’m wanting to make it a 413 due to the cool historical factor with that 😎.
It just takes time and money!

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I do agree the new Whipple is a much better unit ..
But don't say those times can't be done on a 2.7l IHI ... It is possible.... If you know the right person

Haha. I’ll take that bet. This was a 100% stock motor (except for fuel and the Whipple) in a 4600 lb Challenger on a crappy prep at over 3000 da. I forget what the 60’ was but somewhere in the 1.6 range. The downside to the story is on the second pass with lower air pressure and a serious launch…. Obliterated the rear end, drive shaft and exhaust system. 😳

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
. How much boost was that car making ?? I only had a 10% lower and was running 9.3's at 148 on E85... And 9.6's on pump gas .. so it is possible with a little bit of work with the IHI .. plus guys have run 8.9's on a 2.4 with lots of work ..

Again i agree the Whipple 3.0 is a better unit if you are a dedicated race car . For a street car it's a bit over kill for me ..

Last edited:

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
You never said all stock lol .. mind you i only had a 10% lower and was running 9.3's at 148 on E85... And 9.6's on pump gas .. so it is possible with a little bit of work with the IHI .. plus guys have run 8.9's on a 2.4 with lots of work ..

Oh I know! But…… and it’s a big ugly Butt. Las Vegas. The damn place is like racing at Denver. It’s like ‘just subtract a half second off whatever you run elsewhere’. Brian Felter (the B5Redeye) who ran 8.09-169 at Houston last month ran a best of 8.43-163 on Saturday at Vegas. The place just sucks when it comes to numbers.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Oh I know! But…… and it’s a big ugly Butt. Las Vegas. The damn place is like racing at Denver. It’s like ‘just subtract a half second off whatever you run elsewhere’. Brian Felter (the B5Redeye) who ran 8.09-169 at Houston last month ran a best of 8.43-163 on Saturday at Vegas. The place just sucks when it comes to numbers.
I have never raced there . I have only visited there a few times lol.