Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Check fuses before replacing HID headlamps

Plasticman

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Opelika
State
AL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger HC
My right side headlight stopped working Monday of this week. I didn't think much of it, drove in to work and just before I left did a little research on replacing the HID bulb. I found a tip on YouTube (
) to check my fuse box and sure enough, the 20 amp microfuse for the right side headlight had classic black arc tracing up one leg of the fuse. The tracing was noticeable, but light. I was able to reinstall the fuse and the headlight works fine. I bought new fuses and will replace the arc'd one when I get home.

Just sharing, check your fuses. It was a $4 fix vs $150 for a HID bulb.

Rob

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
For whatever reason, fuses not seated all the way seems common on FCA/Stellantis vehicles.

When I get a new one I make sure that each and every one is fully seated, under the hood and under the dash.

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
Great post.

I related this info, with pix, couple of years ago. Same issue. Weird, right?

Sent from my SM-G666 using Tapatalk

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Funny I had this issue with my 2015 Scat Pack, chased and chased the problem and bought new HID bulbs and everything, then finally traced it back to a bad fuse for that front right headlight! Had the car in the shop and everything LOL.