Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Air filter opinions

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Hello;
I am looking to keep my 2017 HC mostly factory stock, with exception of adding a Billet Tech catch can soon. What I am wondering is would I be better to use the Mopar specific filter or go to the K&N filters? I have used K&N on my different cars and bikes with no issues. I have read that the stock filter flows quite well, and also there are opinions out there that the stock Filter actually filters better where K&N will pass larger particles. I haven't been able to find actual documented facts to either and wonder if any of you have seen any?

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
I run K&N in every thing I own and have for years. Only way to go IMVHO.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
There’s no question that paper filters filter smaller particles than oiled cotton gauze filters. Cotton gauze flows better. If you don’t live in a dusty area or plan to put over 100k on the car, it really doesn’t matter.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
The OEM paper filter for the Hellcat flows really well fwiw. I believe the Hellcat almost maxes it out when clean, but when dirty it doesn't quite flow what the Hellcat wants to draw at WOT.

Trucker Bob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Out of IL. Thank God
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger M6
Project Farm on YouTube did a test of air filters.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Hello;
I am looking to keep my 2017 HC mostly factory stock, with exception of adding a Billet Tech catch can soon. What I am wondering is would I be better to use the Mopar specific filter or go to the K&N filters? I have used K&N on my different cars and bikes with no issues. I have read that the stock filter flows quite well, and also there are opinions out there that the stock Filter actually filters better where K&N will pass larger particles. I haven't been able to find actual documented facts to either and wonder if any of you have seen any?
If your keeping your HC stock & not going to race it ?....I would keep the stock air filter , if you want a little more from your HC then go with K&N , can't go wrong either way , just personal preference.

I still have the stock one & the drop in K&N & then went with the AFe CAI more for looks & sound.

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Very interesting video. I would have expected the K & N to allow more particles since it's allowing more air flow but jeez......hard to believe it wasn't even in the same ballpark as the others

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Very interesting video. I would have expected the K & N to allow more particles since it's allowing more air flow but jeez......hard to believe it wasn't even in the same ballpark as the others
Some folks refer to them as rock catchers.

OP
2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #9
Yes, that video is pretty convincing....think I’ll stick with paper. I had heard WIX makes the Mopar filters.

John G.

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
I run a K&N in my Jeep, because I got sick of the dealer telling me I needed a new air filter every time I took it in for an oil change. My dealer warned me this could cause a warranty issue, since the K&N allows a lot more dirt into the engine. I discounted this at the time, thinking he was just trying to sell me air filters. But after watching this video, it appears he is right!

Av8ing1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Marcos
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
Good video. I have always been a bit worried about after market filters. Seems to me only a few possible performance benefits can be gained. More filter area (not happening if you change the stock filter for a K&N in the OEM box,) a system that does better at accessing cooler air or a filter that filters less. Most after market systems are trying to do all these things. I'm convinced that much of the performance benefit typically found is from a less restrictive filter element, that is, filtering less.

My question is what happens if we allow more particles and larger particles into the intake? That K&N or similar oiled filter element isn't letting pebbles in, at what point size wise are particles going to cause issues?

Is the main risk getting your oil dirtier sooner? Do we change oil so often that this is unlikely to cause problems?

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Meh so with a performance filter in place the engine lasts 200k miles instead of 225k. I'll take my 30hp from the performance filter.

I've had a performance filter on my supercharged 4Runner for nearly 140,000 miles and it doesn't smoke or use a drop of oil in 1 year interval 10k ish mile oil changes.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I have found that paper filters stay lit longer than oiled ones. Thay just keep going out like this damn popoo dog next door with the long daddy Stlattah knife attached to it's ass.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Project Farm on YouTube did a test of air filters.
Nicely done, and I like that he thought it through about the "great" purification of the K&N under pressure (it let all the contamination through so fast that it couldn't be measured). Don't get me wrong, I use K&N on my GTO, but for the Hellcat I think the paper is fine (though I liked the Purolater and Wix stand out - so brand looks like it matters). Thanks for the posting..

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Meh so with a performance filter in place the engine lasts 200k miles instead of 225k. I'll take my 30hp from the performance filter.

I've had a performance filter on my supercharged 4Runner for nearly 140,000 miles and it doesn't smoke or use a drop of oil in 1 year interval 10k ish mile oil changes.
Hey there Speed,

Did you happen to do a dyno or other run before and after swapping out the filters? If so, I'd be really intersted in the results.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Just a neat effect I discovered years ago. Maybe unique to hot as hell Texas. You can take the paper filter out and douse it with some water before the run (shake it out, no drops, just a good damp cross section). Good for a short term drop in IAT, or at least that was what it seemed like to me. Was never instrumented, and I didn't spend much time thinking about it. Seemed to make a tiny difference, but then that could have been subjective or from other factors that were not apparent.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Hot as what??? Teax aass. Hickster hea asker Rico la fum Indianna Jones Bitch how hotsrer it is??? Just damn hot in souster Flourster. Smokie righster now. Not to say snother hoster in tesxas, butster it is damn hot in Floorida. Buster we love the nakekedness on the beaches, and the gals that show their gals flops off. Butts Dynos I think they are equals. Love the bitches on the beaches. If I muster say.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Burnsville
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Hickster, you okay?
Seems possible you may be in the middle of having a stroke . Call 911?

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
lol at the stroke. Hick is okay, he's just drinking.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
One problem with K&N filters is that people tend to clean them too frequently.
They need to be a bit dirty to work well.

"Well" still being a relative term.