Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

A8 Engagement Problem

Chevyave

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Allen
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Redeye, 20 Charger Hellcat, 21 DDHC
I have a 2019 Redeye and the automatic transmission hesitates to shift into drive and or reverse after been parked. Once the transmission is engaged is shifts perfectly without any hesitation. This is obviously not normal because none of my previous cars exhibited this problem. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so did they get a resolution from their dealer? My car does not do this every time and I am trying to avoid the "cannot duplicate" excuse from my local service department.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Interesting. I have not experienced any slow out of park shifts. You're saying the handle moves freely, but the transmission is slow to respond? Same happen if you are shifting from Neutral to D or P?

OP
Chevyave

Chevyave

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Allen
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
The shifter moves as normal out of park, but there is a 1-2 second delay for the car to engage into drive or reverse. It does this about 30% of the time otherwise it acts normal. There was a similar posting on the "other" forum with members experiencing the same issue, but there was never a posting with a resolution. I am hoping there is just a software update for the transmission and that another forum member has all the details. Going to my local dealers is hit or miss with these types of issues and the more information I can provide the better.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Getting tough for you to like this thing, huh? That all is a royal pain! I remember your brake line problem also. I did look over at the "old" place for you. I cannot see where the OP of either thread reported that anyone has talked to a dealer and had this solved yet. It does seems some have that delay problem and some do not, which don't help at all. Mine seems to work fine. I have even attempted to shift it around since reading those threads and I cannot make it "delay". FYI mine seems to grab in a reasonable time and seems very silent and very smooth compared with my previous Hellcat. That made LOTS more noise than the RE. I hope others over here can help that have that same issue.

OP
Chevyave

Chevyave

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Allen
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
Build quality of this particular car has been less than desirable for sure and I am beginning to wish I kept my 15 HC. The transmission did not exhibit this problem when I purchased it and it did seem to get better by removing the fuse to the TCM prompting a "relearn". It must be a computer related problem, but I would love to go to the dealer with a TSB to reference.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
What a disappointment. Sorry to hear. I hate to use the L word, but if they can't fix it to your liking....?

OP
Chevyave

Chevyave

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Allen
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
Not going to Lemon Law the car because I believe anything mechanical can be fixed. This is just a minor irritation and I will be patient because I am sure there will be a resolution. I can't remember all the TSB's my 15 HC had, but it must have been at least a dozen for a multitude of issues.

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
Mine hesitates every time I put it into gear. Has done it since day one. Especially going from reverse to drive. That extra 1-2 sec is a bit annoying but from my understanding it's from a safety issue they incorporated into maybe the shifter or possibly the ECU (which I don't quite fully understand the reasoning for the hesitation) since the issues with many accidents, injuries and death of the young Star Trek actor Anton Yelchin who was crushed by his Cherokee. It would be weird if only a select few are having this hesitation problem and it not be the "norm".

https://autoweek.com/article/recalls/fca-recall-11-million-vehicles-confusing-shifter

Just like you can't back up with the door open. You have to close the door, put it back in park then you can move again.

Last edited:

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Now, it will let me back up with the door open! I seem to remember the first time I did try, it went crazy. Once on the trailer it would not let me either. But, every time I park it, I open the door and back up (slowly maybe is the difference) because I align the rear tire with a mark on the floor of my garage.

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
Strange mine won't let me no matter what...even after closing the door I have to put it back in park then I'm able to put into drive or reverse . It's gotta be a safety thing. Wonder if it's a manufacture date thing? My DOB: 11-'18

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
I think that's only a "feature" of those lame Challengers (just like they short you guys two doors but charge you for four). I've always been able to back up with the door open.

eJx1a06.gif

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
After a bit of research it's called "Auto-park"...several other FCA vehicles have the same "safety" feature. I'll have to try keeping my foot on the brake to see if it makes any difference. Similar safety feature in some BMW's and Mercs.

"FCA describes AutoPark “as an enhanced securement strategy which places the vehicle in “PARK” if the driver attempts to exit the vehicle before placing the gear shift selector in the "PARK" position.” Aug 9, 2018

http://www.safetyresearch.net/blog/...faction-notification”-campaigns-why-no-recall

How to avoid or work around the Auto Park feature

“I was surprised by this just yesterday. Picked up my new 2017 Longhorn last Friday, learning to use everything. I was trying to pull to the very edge of my driveway, so I opened the door to look down. Bang ! Auto-park, truck won't move until you close the door and cycle the gear knob to P and back to R or D. I would really like to disable this.”

An engineer, from Michigan, was quick to explain how to work around the auto park feature on the 2017 Ram 1500. “For parking maneuvers (assuming the truck will creep on its own without throttle input), you should be able to just keep one foot lightly on the brake pedal and thereby avoid auto-Park.”

Grizz, from Canada, says he has been able to lean out of his truck, but always with his foot on the brake. “I do this all the time. I am backing up and the park sense lets me know that I am in the red zone then I pop open the door and back up some more so my truck is not sticking out in the parkade at work. I don't take my foot off the brake as I want to move very slow.”

Presumably, this same approach would work with all of the Fiat-Chrysler vehicles that have the new safety feature".

Last edited:

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Yep, just moving mine a short distance, definitely have my foot 100% on the brake pedal. That explains that.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I am on my A6 engagement troubles, but can relate. Just buy another ring. A set of 16 should set you back till Xmas.